Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Listening to Off-The-Ball while my youngest was at training last night and yer man from Kilkenny said he was on his way to an U-13 schools match in Nolan Park. The anchor asked if it was usual to have Nolan Park host school games and he said it was and the tradition in Kilkenny is to give them the taste of Nolan Park early. And he said when his grandfather was Secretary of the KK County Board that when suits wanted to stop kids going on the pitch at half time or after the game he said "they are the future generations of hurlers" so be careful how you treat them.

I think Cork could learn a lot from that. Long 'go we used see kids out on the streets with hurleys and they'd be pucking the ball over and back to each other. Alas that's died off a lot, but we should be encouraging any kid with a hurley who wants to go on the pitch at half time or full time to soak up the atmosphere and learn what it's all about and listen to the stories about former victories. These youngsters are our future club and county players. Don't let the jobsworths piss them off and lose them to other codes.

fully agree with you Exiled - not surprised to hear Limerick supporters don’t give Cork a chance of winning it out but deep down I think John Kiely knows that the day Cork could get their act together they would be a very dangerous animal. I’m sure he would prefer to play teams who would try to out-muscle them. In the AI final last year we were set up worse than an U12 team and a few weeks ago when we played them in PUC we bamboozled ourselves with our own ridiculous tactics in trying to run the ball out and with no natural centre back. It was insane stuff but in fairness to Mgt they look to have finally copped on and there is still more improvement possible because fundamentally we have a panel of very good hurlers and the tweaking that could have been done all during the league is only being done now. Better late than never and we are going to have a serious say in this championship if we can maintain current form and continue to become more solid defensively.

I agree with you also on the atmosphere between the supporters on Sunday - Tipp respect Cork hurling and Cork people and the reverse is also true. They have had the upper hand on us generally over the past number of years but it always goes in cycles and they will come again as they are proper hurling people. I just hope that we can capitalize over the next 2-3 years on the good foundations we now have and at least win an AI as Tipp have won 3 since we last won one.

I'd say with this teams development we are probably 12 months off of beating Limerick.

I'd be happy enough with a respectable performance against Galway/Kilkenny.

I hope we play Kerry as its a long time since we won a senior championship match down there and it could be a good omen as well.

I remember a Cork player telling me when they won in 1990 the hardest game they got that year was first round below in Kerry, a tight match until near the end. He was probably over-egging it but it was a tight game if I recall.

Listening to Off-The-Ball while my youngest was at training last night and yer man from Kilkenny said he was on his way to an U-13 schools match in Nolan Park. The anchor asked if it was usual to have Nolan Park host school games and he said it was and the tradition in Kilkenny is to give them the taste of Nolan Park early. And he said when his grandfather was Secretary of the KK County Board that when suits wanted to stop kids going on the pitch at half time or after the game he said "they are the future generations of hurlers" so be careful how you treat them.

I think Cork could learn a lot from that. Long 'go we used see kids out on the streets with hurleys and they'd be pucking the ball over and back to each other. Alas that's died off a lot, but we should be encouraging any kid with a hurley who wants to go on the pitch at half time or full time to soak up the atmosphere and learn what it's all about and listen to the stories about former victories. These youngsters are our future club and county players. Don't let the jobsworths piss them off and lose them to other codes.
I remember as a kid been at a cork training session with my dad,, A cranky old fella shouted at me to get off the pitch, My dad told
me later that was Denis Conroy,

Just looking at our scorers so far from the 4 matches

From play Connolly 4-2, Lehane with 12 , Fitzgibbon 2-3, Shane Kingston with 1-8, Harnedy with 10, O'Flynn 8 and Hoggy with 7.

If we can continue with that sort of return from play we will trouble most sides.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼