Florence & The Machine for Cork ??

It wasnt that great of a night like....Waiting around for 6 hours for Florence was a bit shit...

Oh and after they finished playing you know what the DJ played, the fucking Muppet Show theme song, thats fair insulting if you ask me.

People would have given away their first born for that?

If you're 'waiting around for Florence' for 6 hours then you weren't the target audience. The gig was planned before she ever became available. There were fantastic acts from both sides of the Atlantic, some that probably won't be here again. FFS if you and a friend can't amuse yourselves for 6 hours with free pints in ye you have to start weighing up is it worth getting out of bed.

People would have given away their first born for that?
Some people wouldn't particularly value their first born :p

Ok I'm convinced, it was the most fantabulous, amazing, tremenny, bestest gig EVER in the world.:rolleyes:

Free pints my hole, you got one Murphys voucher on entry.
Coors had to be paid for.
And six hours is a loooong time to be waiting for an act in an indoors venue.
It's not like you've a campsite to head back to.

Murphy's got great publicity out of it just looking at the interest generated and more power to em.

I'm not trying to be negative but foolahs goin on saying twas the best thing since sliced pan is off their game.
Get a hold yereselves lads, twas alright.

Ok I'm convinced, it was the most fantabulous, amazing, tremenny, bestest gig EVER in the world.:rolleyes:

Free pints my hole, you got one Murphys voucher on entry.
Did the Murphy's girls avoid you or something? Big grumpy scowl up on your? :p
They kept handing them out. I still have some left over, we had some left over from Duke Special and Interference as well.

And six hours is a loooong time to be waiting for an act in an indoors venue.
It's not like you've a campsite to head back to.
Would you not maybe try to enjoy the other acts? Fair enough if you were a diehard F+M fan you might not bother with the others and be happy enough at the end, but the whole point was that it was a Big Night Out with several bands, rather than one of the Little Big Nights Out. I'm not sure but I think I applied for my tickets before F+M were announced. I think it was the day of the Duke Special gig.

I'm not trying to be negative but foolahs goin on saying twas the best thing since sliced pan is off their game.
Get a hold yereselves lads, twas alright.
In fairness I wouldn't expect you to think it was fantastic if you spent the first 6 hours watching the clock but you (I assume) knew what you were in for when you applied/queued up.

Did the Murphy's girls avoid you or something? Big grumpy scowl up on your? :p
They kept handing them out. I still have some left over, we had some left over from Duke Special and Interference as well.

Would you not maybe try to enjoy the other acts? Fair enough if you were a diehard F+M fan you might not bother with the others and be happy enough at the end, but the whole point was that it was a Big Night Out with several bands, rather than one of the Little Big Nights Out. I'm not sure but I think I applied for my tickets before F+M were announced. I think it was the day of the Duke Special gig.

In fairness I wouldn't expect you to think it was fantastic if you spent the first 6 hours watching the clock but you (I assume) knew what you were in for when you applied/queued up.

Earra you'd want to calm down fella, yere losing the rag unless people agree that it was the bestest thing ever.

It wasn't , get over it.

It's a long time since I posted on the forum but here's my two cents....

It was a very enjoyable night overall. I pay to go see enough gigs in Cork so it was nice this year to go along to the Murphy's ones this for free. I went to some of the chill n' grills as well, nice grub and a few drinks even though I'm a Beamish man myself and will remain so despite the advertsising bombardment. I didn't even drink myself on Saturday night so I got to hear and see it all through sober ears and eyes!

Queued up about 5.45, yes it was raining but nothing the organisers can do about that as they tried to get people in as quickly as possible.

I liked the idea of the two stages as the Opera House is well set up for this kind of thing. You could theoretically see a bit of everyone which I ended up doing. I thought Megafaun were excellent as I didn't know any of their stuff beforehand. Must try and pick up some of their stuff. I enjoyed o emperor too.

Lisa Hannigan blew me away to be honest with her voice in a live setting and she got a rapturous reception, her song Lille was the highlight of the night for me.

Magic numbers kept the atmosphere up with a festival style performance. I've seen Florence before and she is a very good performer, she gave it everything on the night and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Great dj-ing between acts and I enjoyed the short films as well (although the sound went for the Fred video). Nice food stalls as well, there was queues but nothing unexpected. Very easy to get a drink even though as I said I wasn't drinking. The only sizeable delay of the night was waiting for the headliner to come on but the dj kept things from getting boring with a few crowd pleasers.

Florence is not the best thing since sliced bread, but shock horror some of us weren't just there to see her! I was there to see Cork bands given a bigger stage and some new acts who might not have come to Cork only for this event.

Whatever people's views on corporate sponsorship of such nights it was a very good night. I enjoyed it and hope it happens again. It's nice to get a good line up for free after paying for so many gigs.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Roamer
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

10th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Open Mic

Coughlan's, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼