Your Mental Health

Those brain shocks are horrendous an awfully terrible feeling. I notice it when I've missed or delayed in taking the meds. Funny thing is I feel in great form beofre that and then suddenly crash. To be honest I do have a few drinks and don't know if they help or hinder, but probably hinder. I've been on antidepressants for years and had to go on bp tablets becuase they affected my bp and that in turn has put pressure on the kidneys, according ot the doc. All the physical problems cuased by the mental one!
Aye, the side effects are harsh alright. I'm glad I'm no longer on them, but I also wouldn't hesitate to take them if I needed to again.

I wouldn't judge anyone for having a few drinks either. Alcohol can be way overused and abused, but I'll argue the toss with anyone that a few drinks in a bar once a week or once a fortnight can be extremely good for your well being, even if the hangover can be a bit shit.

Thing is be it lack of mental health education or shame or whatever a lot of people still don’t know where to turn unfortunately when things go bad. I needed hospitalization and meds to get me through a bad period.
Same.
Education of mental health is really important and can save lives and a lot of unnecessary pain
I think we're moving in the right direction with that. A player for Manchester United had been off sick for a while with mental health issues and got a very vocal welcome back when he came on tonight. I can remember Stan Collymore announcing to the world he had depression about 25 years ago and the world turned around and said "what have you got to be depressed about?", myself included.

I can also remember a family member going through depression about 20 years ago and not having a clue how to deal with it.

Kids should be taught in school as early as possible about emotions and how to deal with them. It's more important than anything from Maths to Science to History.
but still only a token amount is invested in this which is sad situation.
Yes, we're are sadly way behind with the amounts invested in our mental health services. The CAHMS backlog is shocking.

The double whammy with depression is that when you’re in the hole it isolates you and makes you think there is no way out so therefore a lot of people don’t even think of reaching out for help.

I’m lucky that I only occasionally get anxiety and I can control it fairly easy without meds but I know quite a few people with medium to bad depression. It fuckin sucks for them tbh.

The double whammy with depression is that when you’re in the hole it isolates you and makes you think there is no way out so therefore a lot of people don’t even think of reaching out for help.

I’m lucky that I only occasionally get anxiety and I can control it fairly easy without meds but I know quite a few people with medium to bad depression. It fuckin sucks for them tbh.
Yeah, I remember watching Majella O Donnell talking about her depression one night, and she also mentioned she'd had cancer. She said she'd rather go through cancer again than depression (Can't remember exactly how that question came about, but I remember that answer)

Yeah, I remember watching Majella O Donnell talking about her depression one night, and she also mentioned she'd had cancer. She said she'd rather go through cancer again than depression (Can't remember exactly how that question came about, but I remember that answer)
The weirdest thing happened me when I got covid the first time.

I had it very mild but on the day I tested negative again and therefore was due to go back to work the next day, I had emptiest feeling I’ve ever had. I couldn’t feel anything and was genuinely thinking “what the actual fuck is this?”

I’d imagine it’s what someone with bad depression feels like all the time.
I was thinking there was no way I could work with this and was preparing to not go to work the next day.

Woke up about 7am and first thing I asked myself was how do I feel? Thank fuck I was back to normal.

Only lasted 24 hours but I hope I never get that feeling again, if was utter despair and hopelessness.
I haven’t looked in to it enough to see if that’s a side effect of the illness but I haven’t heard anyone else ever say they had similar.

The weirdest thing happened me when I got covid the first time.

I had it very mild but on the day I tested negative again and therefore was due to go back to work the next day, I had emptiest feeling I’ve ever had. I couldn’t feel anything and was genuinely thinking “what the actual fuck is this?”

I’d imagine it’s what someone with bad depression feels like all the time.
I was thinking there was no way I could work with this and was preparing to not go to work the next day.

Woke up about 7am and first thing I asked myself was how do I feel? Thank fuck I was back to normal.

Only lasted 24 hours but I hope I never get that feeling again, if was utter despair and hopelessness.
I haven’t looked in to it enough to see if that’s a side effect of the illness but I haven’t heard anyone else ever say they had similar.
I had nightmares when I had it. Woke in the middle of the night drowned in sweat paranoid that worms were crawling around my bed.

I had nightmares when I had it. Woke in the middle of the night drowned in sweat paranoid that worms were crawling around my bed.
That’s mad.

My end point on my previous post which I stupidly omitted was I don’t know how anyone with bad or long term depression handles it.
I was freaking out after one day.

Seems to be a really common thing, I’d imagine even more so nowadays with all the social media.
Aye, social media would have you thinking that everyone else is having a ball of a time, always on holiday, always at a party, always looking their best, always eating the best food etc etc. If you were depressed before looking at it, it would probably only make it worse.

But as the psychiatrist in one of the interviews I posted said, social media doesn't show you people waking with a hangover, or sick with a cold, or doing the ordinary things of life like shopping, or working a job you dont like to pay the bills etc.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

27th Jul 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

DJ Big Daddy Can

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼