Your Mental Health

The thing about depression in MY experience is that it also causes emotional blunting. In my experience with depression, I didn't feel sad. I also didn't feel happy, glad, grateful, joyful, angry, fearful, jealous, aroused, amused or anything else. I felt nothing, which to me is worse than the things that we call negative emotions.

That study gave anti depressants to healthy people, and tbh, I can see some ethical issues with that. The side effects of those drugs are no joke either, but in my case the benefits outweighed the cost.

The thing about depression in MY experience is that it also causes emotional blunting. In my experience with depression, I didn't feel sad. I also didn't feel happy, glad, grateful, joyful, angry, fearful, jealous, aroused, amused or anything else. I felt nothing, which to me is worse than the things that we call negative emotions.

That study gave anti depressants to healthy people, and tbh, I can see some ethical issues with that. The side effects of those drugs are no joke either, but in my case the benefits outweighed the cost.
Side effects such as insomnia? That would be a problem for sure.

SSRIs won't be effective unless a person is prepared to do some of the work also, that includes avoiding alcohol while on them.

Most Psychiatrists worth their salt know how to administer anti depressants gradually increasing the dose and which type will be suitable for each candidate as it’s horses for courses. They can be a life saver for many and the kick start many need but at some point the person also has to put the work in to take their life back.

You hit the mail on the head depression comes in many guises, and can take time for undiagnosed conditions to come to light.

Side effects such as insomnia? That would be a problem for sure.
Insomnia, sleeping too much at other times, brain shocks, trouble concentrating, erectile dysfunction, trouble peeing, waking up with a mouth like sandpaper, loss of apetite are a few I can remember, but some of those could also be part of the depression (Fairly sure the brain shocks, ED and the peeing were a direct result of the medication though)
SSRIs won't be effective unless a person is prepared to do some of the work also, that includes avoiding alcohol while on them.
I agree. I can't remember exactly how long, but it was a long time between drinks for me. Despite brain fog and the horribleness of depression I just remember instinctively knowing drink was the last thing I needed.

I don't know how someone with depression and alcohol addiction would cope tbh.

Most Psychiatrists worth their salt know how to administer anti depressants gradually increasing the dose and which type will be suitable for each candidate as it’s horses for courses. They can be a life saver for many and the kick start many need but at some point the person also has to put the work in to take their life back.
Exactly, you have to work at it too. Thing is though, I was so far gone I needed the tablets to pull me back so I could do some work (I never want to go there again, that's for sure)
You hit the mail on the head depression comes in many guises, and can take time for undiagnosed conditions to come to light.
Agreed.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼