Tommy Tiernan on RTE One

So if a kerry f**ken animal takes umbrage with a kerry joke, or an Irish guy with a "Paddy joke", or an English guy with a brit joke, or a Saffer with a SA joke etc etc etc should all comedians just stop telling such jokes? Was it a gratuitously offensive racist joke or was it a joke (I'm hearing it was a reference to the huge amount of black drivers that seem to be manning our taxis now) relating to actual life experience. Don't know about you but, and I know it's only anecdotal, in my experience the proportion of black taxi drivers far outweighs the proportion of black people in the general population. Is it racist to then suggest that there seems to be an inordinate number of black taxi drivers?

Are jokes in future to be so neutral as to not mention men or women so as not to offend the non-binary, and no mention of nationality, creed, colour, height, hair colouring, weight, etc???? It'll just be a case of "Did you hear the one about a pig talking to a cow" until the vegans get upset about that too.

FFS comedians get us to look at the funny side of life. If we are to lose all of it because of wokeness then imho the world will be a poorer place for it.
Things were just totally different back in your day...............
1674479942162.png

Kerry isn't a race.

I don't have any answers for your questions. As white people we don't get to decide what's offensive about stereotypes and tropes wrt to the black community here.

And audience members don't get to decide what material a comic does or doesn't use.

He e-mailed her and according to her had a long phone call with her. Not good enough, she went on Claire Byrne demanding a public apology and Tiernan to make some kind of statement on race.

He should have told her to f*ck off.

Last edited:
And audience members don't get to decide what material a comic does or doesn't use.

He e-mailed her and according to her had a long phone call with her. Not good enough, she went on Claire Byrne demanding a public apology and Tiernan to make some kind of statement on race.

He should have told her to f*ck off.
He’s the sacrificial lamb so that she can get a name for herself.

I've seen enough racism over my life that I wouldn't dare tell a black person who lives here when she or he should or shouldn't be offended.
If someone thinks she's being over the top in her reaction looking for a public apology etc, that's one thing. But there's been a racist pile on against her on social media from the usual nameless, faceless cowards, which is completely out of order.

Kerry isn't a race.

I don't have any answers for your questions. As white people we don't get to decide what's offensive about stereotypes and tropes wrt to the black community here.

I didn't say it would be racist to mock Kerrymen, I said it could be stopped in a Woke World if a kerryman (non-binary version of the word naturally) took offence to it.

If standup comedy is taking a funny look at the everyday in the world around us then if we say you can't comment on black people because you're not black, and you can't comment on waiters because you're not a waiter; you can't comment on sports people because you don't play sports etc etc, where is it all to end? It ends with there being no standup comedians taking a funny look at life for fear someone, anyone, in their audience could take offence.

Given TT's usual material it seems this black lady was quite happy to go to his gig and have him do his usual and mock peoples' accents, have a pop at travelers, have a pop at drive-through McDonalds etc etc, people from Donegal "like goths on crack", Athlone "the most depressing place in the country" etc etc but how very dare he make a joke or an observation about black people. Did she go along to be offended, or was she OK with other people being mocked?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

5th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show

The Roundy, Today @ 6:30pm

More events ▼