Tommy Tiernan on RTE One

Tommy on fire with the Mario Rosenstock interview. Gave him lots of runway to open up. Super stuff.

A telentless hack.

Made a career out of roaring, swearing and simplistic, lowest common denominator comedy.

His reinvention in the zombie slot of RTE's Saturday night chat vehicle has cruelly exposed his limitations when faced with well known celebrities such as Roy Keane.

For all the bullshit from this wan Ive yet to hear what was actually racist about his bit?. Tiernan has been badly advised. Never apologise, never explain. He should have stood over his material. Once you start pandering to the serially offended they will never stop.

Not content with an e-mail and a phone call this daft wagon was on the national broadcaster demanding a public apology Fuck off.

Oh noes. A comedian offended you. The world owes you an explanation. These people are pitiful. Going around the place looking for stuff to be bothered about or in her case simply using this to build her profile.

Bigger fool Tiernan for entertaining this nonsense.

For all the bullshit from this wan Ive yet to hear what was actually racist about his bit?. Tiernan has been badly advised. Never apologise, never explain. He should have stood over his material. Once you start pandering to the serially offended they will never stop.

Not content with an e-mail and a phone call this daft wagon was on the national broadcaster demanding a public apology Fuck off.

Oh noes. A comedian offended you. The world owes you an explanation. These people are pitiful. Going around the place looking for stuff to be bothered about or in her case simply using this to build her profile.

Bigger fool Tiernan for entertaining this nonsense.

Pretty much. The offended party and the media have also bent Tieran's joke out of shape to suit their narrative. Several reports have listed her as a "former RTÉ presenter" - the cynical part of me spies this an attempt to get back on TV.

The hunger for media content and social media "fame" has driven us to living in a JG Ballard novel.

It seems that what made Tommy Tiernan famous 25 years ago is going to be his undoing now.

A complete 180°, in terms of artistic stance, from Tommy though after being on Marc Maron's WTF podcast only a month ago where he said something along the lines of "If 2 out of 1000 people in the room are upset and offended by me, instead of laughing, I can't think about that or I'd never get anywhere."

You look at the likes of Burr, Stanhope, even Jimmy Carr. There's an act - do the act - ignore the rest.

Pretty much. The offended party and the media have also bent Tieran's joke out of shape to suit their narrative. Several reports have listed her as a "former RTÉ presenter" - the cynical part of me spies this an attempt to get back on TV.

The hunger for media content and social media "fame" has driven us to living in a JG Ballard novel.

It seems that what made Tommy Tiernan famous 25 years ago is going to be his undoing now.

A complete 180°, in terms of artistic stance, from Tommy though after being on Marc Maron's WTF podcast only a month ago where he said something along the lines of "If 2 out of 1000 people in the room are upset and offended by me, instead of laughing, I can't think about that or I'd never get anywhere."

You look at the likes of Burr, Stanhope, even Jimmy Carr. There's an act - do the act - ignore the rest.

Fully agreed.

Either stand over your material or spend your entire career explaining yourself.

Tommy realises his future is not in standup.
Something I realised when he started.
He's one dimensional and really a bit shit.
However I do think he's ok at the interviewing lark.
Keane didn't like him, didn't want to talk to him and that was that. Even facing that he still managed to get the story about dating out of him.
That stuff happens to all interviewers once in a while. Remember it happening to Parkinson and Gay Byrne.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Villagers
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place

3rd Dec 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Local Groove Records

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼