the wine thread

Have any of you winos been to Bordeaux, Bergerac, St. Emilion and the like?

Going there later in the year - flying, not by ferry. Doing a few vineyard tours - think of the film "Sideways" done in a Cork accent. In France. With a far more handsome main character.

A lot of the vineyards/wine shops offer a pack and ship service for their wines - DHL/UPS. Has anyone here ever done this?

If so is it worth it or will I get flahed on import fees?

Have any of you winos been to Bordeaux, Bergerac, St. Emilion and the like?

Going there later in the year - flying, not by ferry. Doing a few vineyard tours - think of the film "Sideways" done in a Cork accent. In France. With a far more handsome main character.

A lot of the vineyards/wine shops offer a pack and ship service for their wines - DHL/UPS. Has anyone here ever done this?

If so is it worth it or will I get flahed on import fees?
I haven't CrispY, my wine endeavours have been limited to Italy and Spain. My FIL has done it a few times and is going again this year, says its a great trip. He has only ever brought wine back when he had a source to drive it back, those years were particularly nice visits to him here :)

If you send the wine from UPS and they nab it in customs you will be charged somewhere between €1.50 and €5 a bottle. They have a flat fee of €5 in the port in Dublin but a brother in law paid €1.50 in cork recently, not sure how they arrived at that. My take on it is that it is still worth it if the wine if the case has a high enough value. If you're spending €20 a bottle there the chances are it would sell for about €45 here in which case youre still winning. That obviously wont stand up for cheaper wines though.

I haven't CrispY, my wine endeavours have been limited to Italy and Spain. My FIL has done it a few times and is going again this year, says its a great trip. He has only ever brought wine back when he had a source to drive it back, those years were particularly nice visits to him here :)

If you send the wine from UPS and they nab it in customs you will be charged somewhere between €1.50 and €5 a bottle. They have a flat fee of €5 in the port in Dublin but a brother in law paid €1.50 in cork recently, not sure how they arrived at that. My take on it is that it is still worth it if the wine if the case has a high enough value. If you're spending €20 a bottle there the chances are it would sell for about €45 here in which case youre still winning. That obviously wont stand up for cheaper wines though.

Nice one, Mangey.

My issue is that I never know what a bottle should cost. Like is a €20 bottle there defo a €45 bottle here etc.

In saying that - I had a bottle of very nice Rioja Reserva in a restaurant in Spain a few weeks ago which cost me €14.

I note that the same (or similar at least) bottle from that producer is €38 in The Wine Buff.

Nice one, Mangey.

My issue is that I never know what a bottle should cost. Like is a €20 bottle there defo a €45 bottle here etc.

In saying that - I had a bottle of very nice Rioja Reserva in a restaurant in Spain a few weeks ago which cost me €14.

I note that the same (or similar at least) bottle from that producer is €38 in The Wine Buff.
🙂
Whereabouts in Spain were you Crispy? €14 is very good value for a Rioja Reserva.🍷

Don't think it was in Rioja Alta price range, Mangey_y. Got it on Decantalo if memory serves me. Grand for a Paella. C'mere Barbera and Cabernet Franc is a slightly strange blend. Nice?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼