the wine thread

Popped in to Dunnes the other day and they have their 20% off deal going on a massive amount of the wine there. I picked up some of that Brouilly I linked a while back for €16 a go, worth it at that 👍

I also took a few of the 2018 Royal St Emillion made by those Union de Producteurs guys for €13.60 a go. It’s not a grand cru obviously at that price, but it’s not a bad drop. If I was tasting blind I’d have guessed it was a standard Bordeaux with a bit extra going on, and at that price that would be fair enough.
100794919_1.jpg
Picked up some ‘19 Ramon Bilbao Reserva rioja also knowing he over oaks them.. and guess what?!

Bought me 3 Italians today. Total of 36 bottles. Price 288. Not bad. A Barbera dAlba, a Ripasso Superiore, and a Sicilian thing called Malpelo from a Bio winery by the name of Peri Peri. The offer was Buy 6, get 6 Free. In reality the price is exaggerated and then they half it (in theory) Still a good offer mind, unless they're total crap, which tbf doesn't happen so much these days. Was trying to attach a pic but it always tells me the file is too big.

Bought me 3 Italians today. Total of 36 bottles. Price 288. Not bad. A Barbera dAlba, a Ripasso Superiore, and a Sicilian thing called Malpelo from a Bio winery by the name of Peri Peri. The offer was Buy 6, get 6 Free. In reality the price is exaggerated and then they half it (in theory) Still a good offer mind, unless they're total crap, which tbf doesn't happen so much these days. Was trying to attach a pic but it always tells me the file is too big.
I reckon you have a really decent bottle in the Ripasso there.
The sicilians rarely do poor wine also.. Frappato and Nerello Mascalese should be a pleasant blend. For what you've paid I'd say you're well set

I reckon you have a really decent bottle in the Ripasso there.
The sicilians rarely do poor wine also.. Frappato and Nerello Mascalese should be a pleasant blend. For what you've paid I'd say you're well set
This is the right time of the year for a deep full bodied Ripasso.

The French do some of the best wines in the world but the Italians consistantly do great wines all the time IMO.

This is the right time of the year for a deep full bodied Ripasso.

The French do some of the best wines in the world but the Italians consistantly do great wines all the time IMO.
Yep, think ill bust something nice out tonight.. hopefully the entertainment will be the Gardai pasting the scum tonight if they decide to get all patriotic again

Hmmmmm, quite fucking disappointed with the Dofi from Alvaro Palacios that I opened today. Maybe it was too young, I'll give it that but I'm glad I got it on offer. Bought two bottles for about 50 each. Enjoyed the little Sicilian red I mentioned a few posts ago more than the Priorat. The Sicilian was about 1/5 of the price!!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Best Of Cork Summer Special

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼