the wine thread

Picked up a bottle of this one on the recommendation of Pepe. It was magnificent. Silky smooth, jammy, cherry and vanilla.

It may have changed my opinion that if it's not French, it's not good.

i3Wh1DVpRvetPw3X8bM7sg_pb_600x600.png

Picked up a bottle of this one on the recommendation of Pepe. It was magnificent. Silky smooth, jammy, cherry and vanilla.

It may have changed my opinion that if it's not French, it's not good.

I'm just back from 2 weeks off, so that was 2 weeks of mostly Italian loveliness in the evenings.. majority of it from Tuscany and Sicily. I went for a mix of old favourites and a clatter of new stuff thrown in for research purposes :)
Some of the wines being made on Etna are superb

I'm just back from 2 weeks off, so that was 2 weeks of mostly Italian loveliness in the evenings.. majority of it from Tuscany and Sicily. I went for a mix of old favourites and a clatter of new stuff thrown in for research purposes :)
Some of the wines being made on Etna are superb

Have you had any of these Schola Sarmenti lads stuff, Manger? Very impressed so far.

Booked my wine trip to Cherbourg next month to replenish my supplies!

How does this kind of carry on work?

I mean; presumably you'd have to go with a van or a trailer and load it to the hilt to make the trip worth your while, would you?

Is Cherbourg a nice town?

Or is it like buying discounted flagons of Linden Village in Rosslare?

Have you had any of these Schola Sarmenti lads stuff, Manger? Very impressed so far.

no, haven't had a chance to buy them. I would definitely pick some up out of interest but I've noticed I have stopped ordering primitivos over the last while, just finding them too jammy. Having aid that I have long been a fan of southern italian reds, Salice Salentino would prob be my favourite of the offerings there (Leone di Castris make nice ones you should find here).

I don't know if you find the same thing but I definitely drift in and out of certain types of wine, maybe its a time of year thing and I'll be back to them in the winter. Far more likely to pick up something from Tuscany or Siciliy these days

Salice Salentino would prob be my favourite of the offerings there (Leone di Castris make nice ones you should find here).

Nice one. I have made a note of that. See if I can find it.

I don't know if you find the same thing but I definitely drift in and out of certain types of wine, maybe its a time of year thing and I'll be back to them in the winter. Far more likely to pick up something from Tuscany or Siciliy these days

To be quite honest, Manger, I don't know enough about wine (yet) to comment on that.

What I can tell you is this - it's always a red, nearly always French and that I seem to have been hitting the Bordeaux region when I want something with a bit of oomph and the CDR region for easy drinking.

These Italian lads are putting on a good show though. I'll be trying their Cubardi this weekend I think. Just put in an order for more of that Roccamora as well.

Nice one. I have made a note of that. See if I can find it.

To be quite honest, Manger, I don't know enough about wine (yet) to comment on that.

What I can tell you is this - it's always a red, nearly always French and that I seem to have been hitting the Bordeaux region when I want something with a bit of oomph and the CDR region for easy drinking.

These Italian lads are putting on a good show though. I'll be trying their Cubardi this weekend I think. Just put in an order for more of that Roccamora as well.

Just on the Italians and picking a wine - they are deadly serious about their categorisation system and appellations, so you can generally rely on it unlike the French. DOCG is their top classification and their Riservas are almost always worth the few quid extra. There are exceptions of course and the obvious rule breakers like super Tuscans but you’ll rarely go wrong if you watch for those. So with the likes of Leone do Castris try to get the Riserva as the additional ageing always produces better results.

When I’m hitting up the French I’d usually shoot for the same two regions you’ve mentioned, big fan of the right bank Bordeaux blends as I always enjoy a bit of merlot in there. I have two bottles of ‘’13 Medoc here with me this weekend which won’t survive it :)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Daniel Lukas: The Only Funny German
The Roundy, Castle St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Soho Nights

The Pavilion, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼