The Official PROC Restaurant review thread.

I went to the restaurant of the Europe hotel in Kerry the other day. I wasn’t paying and don’t think I could ever justify the cost.

The starter was rolled up rabbit meat in bacon that was delicious. For the main course I made the mistake of ordering the vegan option, a vegetable wellington. Not sure what liberal spirit had come over me. Was about as tasty as a wellie that had been left on a warm rad after scraping the yard. The fella across from me got a fillet steak which was grand but lacking a bit in ‘beef’ flavour, the flavour you get with good grass fed meat that’s been aged. Though fillet steaks can be like that. There was an enormous slab of goose liver on the side he didn’t know what to do with that made it ok to charge 50 euro for it.
The dessert was pretty nice and certainly looked well though you could get the same for less elsewhere.
The waiter was straight out of Jeeves and Wooster, anticipating needs you didn't even know you had (‘a cushion for your back sir’…’perhaps the gentleman doesn’t like goats cheese’…). I’m normally happy not to be waited on too much but had to admire the skill of this man who was incredibly helpful without being obsequious and a character in his own right.
Great wine too and some fine looking customers in there, handsome Kerry women though some there (including the men) might want to lay off the Botox.

I ate in Goldie again at the weekend. Took 3 people who had never been before.

It was exceptional. Every single course was perfect.

Started with 2 portions of Taiwanese fish bites to share.

My three guests all ordered the same starter and main - Bombay aloo pierogi followed by Hake Katsu in a light curry sauce (it was supposed to be Monkfish but they had run out - nobody had an issue with this).

My own starter was Hake tail schnitzel (unreal) and then John Dory with kimchi butter and roasted celeriac (again... unreal).

For sides to share we had 2 portions of their incredible crushed potatoes, one shoestring fries and one carrot and parsnip Gobi puree with crispy fish skins.

Three pints of their new Resist stout (very tasty), a pair of Aperol spritz and one large bottle of sparkling water.

No desserts.

€203 - rounded to €245 to include tip. Very, very reasonable.

Immense. Cannot recommend highly enough.

I went to the restaurant of the Europe hotel in Kerry the other day. I wasn’t paying and don’t think I could ever justify the cost.

The starter was rolled up rabbit meat in bacon that was delicious. For the main course I made the mistake of ordering the vegan option, a vegetable wellington. Not sure what liberal spirit had come over me. Was about as tasty as a wellie that had been left on a warm rad after scraping the yard. The fella across from me got a fillet steak which was grand but lacking a bit in ‘beef’ flavour, the flavour you get with good grass fed meat that’s been aged. Though fillet steaks can be like that. There was an enormous slab of goose liver on the side he didn’t know what to do with that made it ok to charge 50 euro for it.
The dessert was pretty nice and certainly looked well though you could get the same for less elsewhere.
The waiter was straight out of Jeeves and Wooster, anticipating needs you didn't even know you had (‘a cushion for your back sir’…’perhaps the gentleman doesn’t like goats cheese’…). I’m normally happy not to be waited on too much but had to admire the skill of this man who was incredibly helpful without being obsequious and a character in his own right.
Great wine too and some fine looking customers in there, handsome Kerry women though some there (including the men) might want to lay off the Botox.

WTF made you do that? Top chefs in the world struggle to impart any flavour or texture into vegan food. By all means, order it if you have ethical concerns over eating meat but considering you'd just wolfed down little bunny for starters, that was hardly an issue!!

WTF made you do that? Top chefs in the world struggle to impart any flavour or texture into vegan food. By all means, order it if you have ethical concerns over eating meat but considering you'd just wolfed down little bunny for starters, that was hardly an issue!!
Ah that's not true! Even just in Cork, check out cafe paradiso, or Iyers (now gone I know), or Izz.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Shlomo Franklin
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

27th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Cliffords

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼