The Official Athletics Thread

Womens 5k was good.

Tsegay pulls it off. She has been held out of gold in the 1500m by Kipyaygon and Hassan the last few years so she gets get her global gold

Hassan is tough as nails. Made a pretty audacious move to take back the inside line with 250m to go but ran out of legs. She only started training in May like.

Some Tigrayan protester got onto the track with a Tigrayan flag so that guy is in a world of pain tonight id say. Tsegay is Tigrayan as is Gidey. Gidey had some testy exchanges with Taye who is omalun (or however its spelled) i think. I'm surprised the Ethiopian civil war was the political situation that found its way iinto these champs but there you go

The yanks fucking up the 4x100m is like the tides but the women taking down the Jamacans was hugely surprising in an entertaining relay showing.

Persous Karlstrom got bronze in the walk. He's a Rob Heffernan athlete. Togher AC got a slap on the wrist when he won the Irish championship 10km walk and he couldn't prove residency. Brendan Boyce was 25th or something.

In other news the Irish 4x100m men autoQ'd for munich which is great

Legitimately Brilliant night of athletics. They stacked a few finals for the crescendo and the Athletes stepped up.

Sarah Lavin had a good run 12.8x for 5th in her heat. The WR was taken down in the semis by Tobi Amusan who went on for a wind assisted 12:06 in the final. There were fast times all over the shop so loads of speculation that the timinng was off. Cathal Dennehy had some good technical stuff about how super spikes are distorting all hurdle events cos the bounce means that they can hold stride pattens and the likes. Amusan was wearing a 5k/10k spike.

The 5k i enjoyed immensely. Nobody wants to rabbit so it ended up in that 13.10 range and Jingy blew the doors off them all. Was showboating again at the drinks station. Grijalva with a brilliant 4th. Grant Fisher taken out by Krop. Ethiopians shat the bed.

Mu, Keely another cracker. Keely has been off it all year. She really rose to the occasion.

Abbey Steiner got her 4x100m/4x400m double gold. Ive no idea if that has been done before.

Syd McLoughlan with a 47.9 anchor leg. I hope she takes on Shaunie in the flat 400 or Mu in the 800 in paris.

And mondo rounded it all off with a 6m21 WR last vault.

Good champs.

Ingebrigtsen cubrió el último mil en 2:23.

Last km in 2.23 according to this report. Anyone (Guapo) got the official splits? That's not a bad last km, lads.

They have 100m splits for all events. this year they had chips in the bibs.

He said after he didnt intend to it the front so early but basically blasted it home from 1k out.

I'm still not sure what i make of the water station stuff. He could have easily done it as a masterful tactical masterstoke or just as likely wabted to piss off Gjert

Some Tigrayan protester got onto the track with a Tigrayan flag so that guy is in a world of pain tonight id say. Tsegay is Tigrayan as is Gidey. Gidey had some testy exchanges with Taye who is omalun (or however its spelled) i think. I'm surprised the Ethiopian civil war was the political situation that found its way iinto these champs but there you go
They let the fella who stormed the track off with a warning. He wasn't even fucked out of the stadium.

Gidey said after she hasn't been able to speak with her parents in about 2 years because they're back in tigray and there is a blockade. They heard about her 10k win on the radio. Mad stuff

Folks, the World's U20 starting today in Cali. Ireland sending a few, including Griggs in the 3000. Unfortunately, we won't get to see him lock horns with my protogé Vivien Henz in the 1500. This lad is only going to be 18 later this month. Would love to see him make the final. Heat today about 5 Irish time I think. Haven't checked 3000mts time yet.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

CSM Pop Degree Showcase

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼