The Official Athletics Thread

Terrier, just read an article there on him. As it's his first and he'll be targeting the 10 thous in Paris, I think he might 'take it easy'. 2.03?? Trainer said his mileage is low, topping out at 100mpw. Dunno, but I'd love to see something special. We might have to wait till late '24 or '25 though I feel.

How will Cheptegei go on Sunday in Valencia lads? Will he have a go off of the record?
Wasn't to be - the "real" marathon runners wiped him in the second half.

2:01:48 for Lemma to win it. That time barely raises an eyebrow in these Kiptum-influenced days.

Sweet run for 41 year-old Kenenisa Bekele - very chilled today, didn't bother with the lead group but was just 20 seconds off them at half way. Then mowed through the field in the second half for 2:04:19, a new world masters record.

Missed this one over the weekend.

Super early season win in the Zatopek 10km (10k!!) for Andrew Coscoran, nice win over the two fastest Aussies ever, Jack Raynor (Oz 10k record holder) and Pat Tiernan (Tokyo 10k)

The commentators knew nothing about him. 27:56. Great race.

from 3:31 ish here for the business end.
https://www.youtube.com/live/rfToUrcGp-o?si=-Q4-2-Z40PRyWfAW
Wow, a short off-season for him. I suppose the January circuit is coming soon. Decent performance for sure

Wow, a short off-season for him. I suppose the January circuit is coming soon. Decent performance for sure
Commentators mention he has been in Falls Creek for Altitude training (i think its a few hours from Melbourne and the only mountain high enough in Oz)

The DublinTrack Club and Melbourne track Club often do shared camps because Nick Bideau and Feidhlim Kelly have some kind of professional linkup

Looking again at those results from Valencia on Sunday, the times seem strange to me :

• There were 40 runners under 2:10 - four times as many as in Chicago
  • 129 runners under 2:20 - over three times as many as in Chicago
  • 561 runners under 2:30 - way over three times as many as in Chicago
  • The M50 winner ran 2:25 , there were 51 M50 runners under 2:45 - more than three times as many as in Boston, nearly double the number who did it in Chicago
  • The M55 winner ran 2:35, there were 27 M55 runners under 2:50 - four times as many as in Boston, neary double the number who did it in Chicago

That's an awful lot of fast times - for a marathon late in the season. I deliberately picked two high-quality marathons as comparison - especially Chicago, which is also dead flat. Anyone I spoke to who ran on Sunday said they had never been in such a fast field (lads used to having plenty of space on the road who were running low 2:40s, mid 2:30s found themselves in the middle of much bigger bunches on Sunday).

The course isn't short and I know Spain is the probably the true home of PEDs... but really? Is that the reason?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom McRae
Wavelength (Cyprus Ave Rooftop)

3rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Fred's Battle of the Bands Heat 5

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼