The greatest Euro final ever?

Certainly not in my book either. It's very blind to say that last year's final was the best in a competition that's been around 50 years. The best is probably the 61/62 win by Benfica, at the time considered the greatest team ever. They won their second European Cup in a row and defeated Madrid who practically owned the competition before that. Oh, and Eusebio was involved. One of the all time greats.

Red Devil said:
Yeah AC Milan should have won but fell asleep for about 7 minutes. They bossed the vast majority of the game.

Yawn.

Anyway, as we have not seen most of them its pretty hard to judge. Istanbul was unreal for drama but had terrible defending all round. A bit like the Pool v Newcastle game in the PL- great entertainment but the defending would keep managers up at night.

I do laugh at the fact that some Irish Liverpool fans refer to themselves as scousers though or take offense to comments made against scousers.

Lynott said:
I do laugh at the fact that some Irish Liverpool fans refer to themselves as scousers though or take offense to comments made against scousers.

i don't think they do(scousers that is), maybe they call themselves reds or whatever but irish fans of all english clubs do the same. i see no reason why an irish person cannot be as passionate about a premiership team as they want to be.

Lamps said:
i don't think they do(scousers that is), maybe they call themselves reds or whatever but irish fans of all english clubs do the same. i see no reason why an irish person cannot be as passionate about a premiership team as they want to be.

I know its not only Liverpool fans. I was messing with the boys above.

Little story here and it happens all over Ireland all the time, but this is just one example. Its why I get petty about these things, and people referring to the English team they support as 'we'.

I was at U2 in Croker with a friend of mine who is English, ex pro and an ex Irish player. Two Dublin lads came up to me and asked me for a cigarette. I gave him two, one for his mate.
They started making small talk and when they heard my mates accent asked him what he was doing in Croke park and told him to fuck off back to England the English cunt.
We turned away but didn't move but the Dubs continued asking my mate what he thought of Croke Park but being right pricks with the attitude.
Me and my mate started talking about football and the boys jumped in to the conversation. One saying he had trials for Watford. It came out who my mate was and the boys tune changed, they were soon kissing his ass.
The football conversation between all four of us continued. The cheekiest of the two boys then goes on to say how much of a Liverpool fan he is. He said Liverpool were his life and soul.

I just thought You fucking hypocrite.

That's my problem with it. That and the fact that half the people that use the term 'we' have probably never been to the town where the football team is based. Its ridiculous.

MonTheHoops said:
Certainly not in my book either. It's very blind to say that last year's final was the best in a competition that's been around 50 years. The best is probably the 61/62 win by Benfica, at the time considered the greatest team ever. They won their second European Cup in a row and defeated Madrid who practically owned the competition before that. Oh, and Eusebio was involved. One of the all time greats.

not the best match by any stretch of the imagination. A completely one sided first half followed by a Milan collapse in the second half, then pennos.Exciting yes, good game of football,no. As for the uefa match, don't make me laugh ,two woeful defences with Jordi Cruyff playing a blinder, FFS like.

Its a nonsensical question. Its entirely subjective. For Porto fans im sure the 2004 final was the best ever .likewise for United twould be 99. Utterly redundant question.

This question came up recently as well in terms of the greatest Premiership games ever. All The Liverpool fans were calling for the Pool Newcastle games. They were great at the time but I think the Arsenal United clashes of late have been far better in terms of quality of football and rivalry.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Cooper Clarke
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

19th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Music At Midday

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 12pm

More events ▼