The Gaelic Football Thread

Good idea but I'm not sure if there are enough posters into football to keep it going. We shall see.

a place to discuss the likes of the banty debacle in meath, or the many many y'animals stories we are fed without clogging up the cork footballers thread. i did a search and couldn't believe there was none before now.

Paul Hearty has retire from inter county football now as well.

Read an article about him recently. He's up at 4.30 every morning driving a truck as well as having a young family. Tough to maintain that level of commitment.

Read an article about him recently. He's up at 4.30 every morning driving a truck as well as having a young family. Tough to maintain that level of commitment.

Always was a fan of his. One of the few Armagh fellas I liked.

why all the armagh hate lads?

I have a lot of time for them.

They're fairly cynical and whinge a lot. Kinda like a nordie version of the animals(see Tony's Kieran McKeever thread). Plus they won a single All Ireland and always considered themselves serious contenders afterwards despite never doing it outside of Ulster.

Didn't like him (or any other one of them)until schtarr roared inhis face in the 2006 QF

Then I took an "if schtarr doesn't like him he can't be all bad" line

And that was even before schtarr turned into the Whiney cubt he is now

They're a mixed bag. I've always been a huge admirer of McGeeney who was one of my favourite non-Cork players of all time and I'd have a lot of time for Big Joe as well. Ronan Clarke was a lovely forward as well. Crossmaglen are quite simply probably the greatest club team of all time.

However they got unreal cocky after winning one and subsequently underachieved. There was a perception that some of them thought they ahd reinvented the game. Some of the abuse some of their players and supporters threw at Tyrone people in the mid-noughties was way beyond the pale and then you have McKeever who is nothing but a fucking bully.

Thoroughly enjoyed their win in 02. They had Kerry beat up a stick in 2006 as well until Donaghy exploded onto the national consciousness in the second half.

I remember travelling up to that double bill in 06, kerry-armagh at 2, cork-donegal at 4. Myself and a buddy were living in limerick at the time and were heading up. We had a few jars on the friday and waited to make sure we were ok to drive and were late leaving limerick on the saturday thinking we'd be lucky to make the start of the kerry match. When the road narrowed into one lane after nenagh we realised there were a pile of KY registered cars behind us who were equally running late for the game.

We decided we'd slow down to 65-70 kph to make as many of the fuckers miss the start as possible. For our troubles I think we got the finger at least 15-20 times between there and abbeyleix. We arrived at Croker at 2:20. Happy out.

Small men in many ways.

Cranky old bunch from my experience, which granted is fairly limited. Only times I would have bumped into them would probably have been the double-header QF's in 2006, when we played their Minors in 2010 and when they are neutrals at All Ireland Finals, but they always seemed to be moaning about something.

In particular a group of them were whinging in the pub after the 2009 AI Final about wasting their time and money coming down to watch another Cork team bottling it in an All Ireland Final. Lovely stuff to listen to when the head was already in a bad place and them with their one All Ireland in 125 years.

Just on my own experience Tyrone GAA folk seem to be a bit more personable, same for Down and Derry.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Peader O Callaghan

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼