Teddy Mac RIP

By far the greatest number of messages on RIP.ie from outside of Cork for Teddy are from Tipp people. Fair play to them. A good few from Mesth too.
The hostilities between cork and meath ended when the meath panel travelled to cork for john kerins funeral,
Dinny allen wrote an article on the echo and he said after the funeral they were out in the barrs club, Mick lyons
bought him a pint and said, dont tell anybody i bought you a pint i have a reputation to live up to,

The hostilities between cork and meath ended when the meath panel travelled to cork for john kerins funeral,
Dinny allen wrote an article on the echo and he said after the funeral they were out in the barrs club, Mick lyons
bought him a pint and said, dont tell anybody i bought you a pint i have a reputation to live up to,
I think Mick Holden got them together in a bar in Spain (they ended up in the same hotel on team trip) and told them to cop on that they would be all dead long enough. Then as you say John Kerins funeral brought them all together. Holden died young as well. Another tremendous character.

Holden was something else. Great clip of him dragging Barney Rock up off the ground after going down with a belt telling him get on with it. V good hurler as well apparently
Better Hurler and so was his brother Vinny.

I remember when Teddy was a Beamish rep any TV interview he gave always had a Beamish reference in it from him.

Teddy's death rattled me a bit. The man was so strong it seemed to me that he was invincible. I've never seen anyone with such a cast iron belief in his own abilities and who could not be intimidated by any man or any occasion.

I had crossed paths with him many years ago. He was a legend in my eyes and I felt honoured to be in his company. A year or two ago I saw him at a game (unsurprisingly) having not seen him for many years. I'm not a prominent figure and I didn't stand out when we had crossed paths all those years earlier so felt a bit awkward about even saluting him on the basis that he'd have no idea who the hell I was. I mean this guy was known across the whole country and must meet thousands of people every year. While I was weighing up whether to give him a nod of recognition, he saw me, called my name, came over, and we had a chat. I was blown away that he knew who I was. We just had a chat as equals about the game we were watching and sport in general. The game finished and we just drifted off home on our separate ways.

Teddy was rare mixture of an ordinary down to earth bloke who had achieved rare and exceptional feats. He had no airs and graces and treated the great and the good in the same way as he treated no marks like me. Such was the confidence in himself. He knew of no person better than himself and treated no-one as being less than himself.

Teddy's death rattled me a bit. The man was so strong it seemed to me that he was invincible. I've never seen anyone with such a cast iron belief in his own abilities and who could not be intimidated by any man or any occasion.

I had crossed paths with him many years ago. He was a legend in my eyes and I felt honoured to be in his company. A year or two ago I saw him at a game (unsurprisingly) having not seen him for many years. I'm not a prominent figure and I didn't stand out when we had crossed paths all those years earlier so felt a bit awkward about even saluting him on the basis that he'd have no idea who the hell I was. I mean this guy was known across the whole country and must meet thousands of people every year. While I was weighing up whether to give him a nod of recognition, he saw me, called my name, came over, and we had a chat. I was blown away that he knew who I was. We just had a chat as equals about the game we were watching and sport in general. The game finished and we just drifted off home on our separate ways.

Teddy was rare mixture of an ordinary down to earth bloke who had achieved rare and exceptional feats. He had no airs and graces and treated the great and the good in the same way as he treated no marks like me. Such was the confidence in himself. He knew of no person better than himself and treated no-one as being less than himself.
Lovely tribute to a legend.

Fantastic

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼