Teddy Mac RIP

Still finding this hard to understand - Teddy was an absolute hero of my youth, the posters on my wall were Teddy flying high because we had the greatest of them all on the pitch when he did that double. Its an incredible achievement to play IC at all, to be midfield and the fulcrum of the team even moreso.. but to do it for both codes and win them both in the one year is beyond comprehension. Himself and Larry has to be my favourite football midfield combination of all.. tough as teak, but then he'd pick the hurley up and dominate again

Part of what has me so sad are the memories flooding back, all those weekends down the Pairc with my granda watching Teddy entertain us all.. epic games with the Glen, Rockies, Barrs, Midleton, Sars, Piarsaighs etc. in the club championship back then, and then the running battle with great Kerry teams in the MFC that would flick back and forth every year between PUC and Killarney, Tipp in the hurling.. jesus the atmosphere in PUC and up in Semple.. and we'd take it to the best of them

Rest easy Teddy, a bona fide legend

Last edited:
Wouldn’t it be a lovey gesture if every Gaa club in cork flew the cork & national flag at half mast for the week. Teddy is unique in what he has achieved in the history of the Gaa and is up there with the Ring & JBM of cork Gaa folklore. The man deserves it,
I agree - I think this funeral should be a good opportunity for the Cork GAA community to galvanise and put on a real show for Teddy - absolutely no less than he deserves.

It would definitely show and inspire the younger generation (who may not even been born when Teddy played or when Cork last won an All ireland) of the adoration and pride Cork have in their heroes and might leave a memory for them going forward.

I was playing Snooker in a club in Dublin in the mid nineties and met former Dublin footballer Joe McNally and the first player he referred to was Teddy Mac. Joe seemed to look up to him as much as us Cork supporters and referred to playing with Teddy in the Compromise Rules Football games v Australia around 1986.

Thanks for the memories Teddy, RIP.

Wouldn’t it be a lovey gesture if every Gaa club in cork flew the cork & national flag at half mast for the week. Teddy is unique in what he has achieved in the history of the Gaa and is up there with the Ring & JBM of cork Gaa folklore. The man deserves it,
All flags in Glanmire at half mast. RIP a true Cork Great!

Terrible news. Sympathies with his family, friends and clubs.

The word legend is thrown around too often but Teddy is the definition of it.

I never met the man but my old fella played with him in the Mon and he said Teddy was a great guy.

May he rest in peace.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼