Suzuki Jimny - Advise please

Hi all,

I'm off to have a look at a 99 Suzuki Jimny later on, mileage is 60k & the asking price is €6,500. It has central locking, alarm, remote central locking, drivers air bag, CD player, adjustable steering wheel & rear head rests. It's had 2 owners & the previous owner had it for 5 years before trading it in. From sussing out prices elsewhere this seems like a good deal to me & I have a punto which the garage have said will accept as a trade in. The punto, to be fair, is a wee bit battered so I dunno if I'll get much but anything off the price is always good.

Anyhoo, being a typical girl I know bugger all about cars. I'm just looking for general advise from other Jimny owners as to their reliability & all that jazz. IMHO they're cute to look at & I've always wanted one but that's no good if the car turns out to be crap.

Thanks y'all! :)

Of the small city jeeps the Jimny seems to be the most popular, and probably the most practical, versus say a Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin 1.1. My cousin had one for a while, about 18-24 months I think and the only problem they had was the size and just didnt realise how much of a struggle moving anything around was. They had no trouble with reliability but just take a look for damage around the wheel arches and underneath in case some fool actually tried to take it off road. Paint chips would be worth a look for as well.

Cheers man! I took it out for a test drive last night - considering the only car I've ever driven is my punto this thing felt like driving a spaceship! I couldn't believe the difference. It's probably because I'm just not used to it but driving it felt more awkward than anything. In the punto, I put the foot on the accelerator & I pretty much take off. The jimny was another story - the only thing that takes off are the revs. It also felt very slow to pick up speed going up in gears. Manouverability was excellent though.
The condition was fairly good, it had a few scrapes but I suppose most 7 year old cars would at this stage but the wipers were a bit wonky as well.

I think I'm gonna give this one a miss, it's not like I'm in any huge rush to get one so I'm gonna keep the peepers peeled. If anyone spots any up for sale between €6 - €7k, I'd appreciate the heads up!

Aparently there was one official recall of the jinmney - so you'd want to check that this was either recalled or purchased after the recall date.

Cam belts should have been done at 54k miles - should be in the cars history

Suspension needs a good look at cause it wears badly.

angelicious said:
Cheers man! I took it out for a test drive last night - considering the only car I've ever driven is my punto this thing felt like driving a spaceship! I couldn't believe the difference. It's probably because I'm just not used to it but driving it felt more awkward than anything. In the punto, I put the foot on the accelerator & I pretty much take off. The jimny was another story - the only thing that takes off are the revs. It also felt very slow to pick up speed going up in gears. Manouverability was excellent though.
The condition was fairly good, it had a few scrapes but I suppose most 7 year old cars would at this stage but the wipers were a bit wonky as well.

I think I'm gonna give this one a miss, it's not like I'm in any huge rush to get one so I'm gonna keep the peepers peeled. If anyone spots any up for sale between €6 - €7k, I'd appreciate the heads up!
Watch out - if you press the accelerator hard and the revs jump up before settling down and you then get acceleration it could mean that the clutch is on the way out. Heard that there's feck all boot space in them too, if it makes a difference to you.

Padraig Mor said:
Watch out - if you press the accelerator hard and the revs jump up before settling down and you then get acceleration it could mean that the clutch is on the way out. Heard that there's feck all boot space in them too, if it makes a difference to you.

Thanks but it makes no difference now, I've decided not to go for it. I'm off to take a look at another one tomorrow, a 2001. It's an extra thousand but it could be worth it I think, especially as the other one was a 99.

You're right when you say there's bugger all space but that doesn't bother me really, I prefer smaller vehicles. The boot is tiny but that can be compensated by pushing forward the back seats if necessary. Otherwise my dogs will have free reign in the back!!

its gonna be slow anyway btw - if i was you i'd get a 2.0L minimum when getting a jeep type thing. - check wether it was recalled or not if not then why not?(applys only if sold before the recall date), check the suspension by applying your weight on the corners one at a time - idealy you want it to move down and then back up when you release if it bounces a small bit after then leave it be. Check to make sure the timing belts were done. personally i don't see the point in a 1.3 offroader

Cheers Hang. I'm just girlie & like the look of them! Plus I know feck all about cars anyway. I will be arranging for a mechanic to take a look before I agree to buy anything & I'll suss out the recall situation as well.

Doesn't look too bad from Honest John I've seen a lot worse reviews, engine wise you shouldn't have any bother with a Suzuki.

Good Luck ;)

What's Good

Cute-looking with decent off-road ability. Reasonable performance (0-60 in 13.6 secs; top speed 100 mph) from 1,298cc 80 bhp engine). Separate chassis for strength. Part-time four-wheel-drive on the road driving rear wheels only for economy. 4-speed auto option. Soft-top version launched at Barcelona Show in May 1999 weighs 1,048kg and can tow 1,300kg. Cheap deals on UK supplied and warranted Suzukis at www.buysuzukidirect.co.uk Suzuki generally 3rd lowest average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 43.23 v/s lowest 31.93) Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk All Suzukis with standard radio/CD player, driver and passenger airbags and ABS with EBD from April 2004. Facelifted for 2005 with new Euro IV 1.3 16v VVT engine developing 85PS and 81lb ft torque. New 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic. Combined mpg 38.7, CO2 174g/km, 0-60 13.8. Manual £9,999 on the road, auto £10,782. Renault 1.5 diesel engined version in Europe. Special JLX+ for 2006 at £10,499 on the road has leather seats, chrome plated door handles and new trim fabrics.

More info and Suzuki's own deals at www.suzuki.co.uk

What's Bad

Noisy and unrefined. Poor 'on-road' manners, especially with large wheels and tyres. 15th from Bottom in 144 car 2002 JD Power / What Car? Customer Satisfaction Survey of V and W reg cars. Came 7th from bottom in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 72.8%.

What to Watch Out For

Too soon to say

Recalls

2/11/2001: 4,068 Jimny hard and soft tops built 1/4/1998 to 31/10/1999 recalled because bolt holding gear selector yoke to gear selector shaft may loosen and fall out. High tensile replacement bolt to be fitted and torqued to tighter setting.

Cheers Dobber! The one I took for a test drive last saturday drove like a dream - she is perfect!! Fingers crossed now the bank will give me the not & she should be mine! And I can get rid of the feckin punto. I'm driving down the dual carriageway this morning in the pissing rain & not 1 but BOTH of the wipers died. Hello like! Stupid piece of crap. I can't wait to see the back of it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Pretty Limited

Fred Zeppelins, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼