Sinn Fein are not a Normal Political Party

In a follow up to the poll in the irish times there was a piece today saying while there is a high majority
in support of unity in the south there is a strong resistance to any concessions i.e flag, anthem,
1670256697362.png

Only 26% of voters in the North would vote for unification while no one really wants to give away any concession's down here.

This looks like the status quo for the next 50 years.

Unsurprisingly the interpretation of this is way off.
But sure that was the whole point.

A BP will be binary. So one or the other.
Won't happen for min 5 years.
Has had no campaign.
No discussion.
No agreement.
Protocol tantrums abound.
Unionism claiming Act of Union takes precedence.
Demographics going one way.
UDA threatening all round them.
Presume other questions were of similar vein.
Presume it was asked if BP held tomorrow.
In a unionism so safe Ian Paisley introduces a supermajority bill in WM.

In a binary referendum 50% say status quo given all of the above means 50% say otherwise.

Not to mention other polling routinely has it at about 45-38 with undecideds at 17 or so.

Best way to do this is for both governments to commission official quarterly large sample tracker polling in advance of the BP.

It cant be a case of holding a poll and if passes then saying. yerra we can discuss flag, anthem etc down the line.
everything should be thrashed out beforehand and put to the people

Fwiw
It cant be a case of holding a poll and if passes then saying. yerra we can discuss flag, anthem etc down the line.
everything should be thrashed out beforehand and put to the people
But you'd accept if a BP happens that way then so be it.
I agree the infinitely preferable way to do this is to plan, discuss and agree. But it's not a prerequisite and if unionism refuses to engage citing "why would we get involved in that?" and when discussions continue without them then say "is this what it would be like" and "cold house for unionists" ....then that can't stop an eventual BP being held.

As I often posted pretty much everything is in the table for me personally bar rejoining the Commonwealth. Think the South African model with new flag, anthem, new nat. languages, new nat. holidays, guaranteed citizenship rights in perpetuity etc etc.

Unsurprisingly the interpretation of this is way off.
But sure that was the whole point.

A BP will be binary. So one or the other.
Won't happen for min 5 years.
Has had no campaign.
No discussion.
No agreement.
Protocol tantrums abound.
Unionism claiming Act of Union takes precedence.
Demographics going one way.
UDA threatening all round them.
Presume other questions were of similar vein.
Presume it was asked if BP held tomorrow.
In a unionism so safe Ian Paisley introduces a supermajority bill in WM.

In a binary referendum 50% say status quo given all of the above means 50% say otherwise.

Not to mention other polling routinely has it at about 45-38 with undecideds at 17 or so.

Best way to do this is for both governments to commission official quarterly large sample tracker polling in advance of the BP.
I'm not sure you could draw that conclusion from the poll as there were 4 options, the 18% who are undecided might favour the status quo or favour a UI once that option is taken off the table. I would think given the breakdown of the yes v no a 50/50 split would be most optimistic outcome.

Also there are technically 3 options, i.e the 5% who said they would not vote, means if all undecided voted for a UI we are still left with a 50 v 45 split against.

I think the best way to do it tbh is not have a poll until there is a majority in favour of a UI, if it were to fail what time period are we looking at for another one, will the Brits be as amenable to another one, look at the Scottish situation.

I am glad people are not willing to give up the anthem and flag, we fought hard for that, give that up for the sake of so called unity.🙄 Giving ground to the Unionists more like.

I am glad people are not willing to give up the anthem and flag, we fought hard for that, give that up for the sake of so called unity.🙄 Giving ground to the Unionists more like.
I am not into this Republican bull shit, as far as I am concerned, the North is a drain on the UK Economy and it can stay that way.
I am glad those latest opinion polls have hopefully kicked that UI BP can way down the road for a long long time.
I will not vote for a UI if offered, I do not want to change our flag or our National Anthem and that is all about it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

King K

Clancys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼