Shiftin' Pages on Facebook

Firstly, it was a female student from NUIG started all of it but most colleges and towns even have them at this stage.

I saw them on the first day they were put up and infairness, all photos were exactly what the group said, people shifting. It was very harmless. Sure people were tagged and few joke comments(nothing serious) but it was all in good fun. I found the page to be very funny so checked again next day when I logged in. It was then that things got out of control. It had moved on from shifitng and onto public sex acts basically. I would be mortified if I was photographed doing those things but infairness, when you do something like that in the middle of a club, you're always running a high risk of being seen. Either by camera or by people in person, if not both. Cameras and Facebook weren't invented yesterday like.

The admins of each page however got a warning from Facebook admins and now, you won't see any flithy photos last any longer than 10mins on it, so it's gone back to being harmless enough.

My main point in favour of the pages is that these photos were already on facebook. People had them up, but the pages have just become a place for people to group them up. It certainly wouldn't be a fault of the page admins that people post rude pics. Also, a lot of the photos are of people shifting in the background of the photo, not that people actually went out looking for people shifting with a camera. However it must be said, I can see people bringing cameras with them on nights out looking for that, just to contribute to the page. Maybe it'll help clean up people's acts and make them think twice before they start dropping hands in public.

Having a pic available to your own friends doesn't make it ok to put it on a page where other people can see it. Its possible, you should be aware it can happen, but it doesn't make it right.

Pics where you look an absolute sight may be ok for your friends to see, but put on this page, how long before the ridiculing hurtful comments are made? We've already seen a selection here.

The best of it is this sort of behaviour goes on in every college in the Western world, its nothing new. So why put them up? For what reason? Its funny to everyone who isn't in the pics, thats all. if you can't go to college and have a bit of fun without worrying about pics ending up on a page like this, then its pretty sad.

Having a pic available to your own friends doesn't make it ok to put it on a page where other people can see it. Its possible, you should be aware it can happen, but it doesn't make it right.

Pics where you look an absolute sight may be ok for your friends to see, but put on this page, how long before the ridiculing hurtful comments are made? We've already seen a selection here.

The best of it is this sort of behaviour goes on in every college in the Western world, its nothing new. So why put them up? For what reason? Its funny to everyone who isn't in the pics, thats all. if you can't go to college and have a bit of fun without worrying about pics ending up on a page like this, then its pretty sad.
The pic can generally only be put up on the page by friends and it certainly can only be tagged by friends, so if a person has a real bother with the pic, then surely a good friend would take it down if they saw their friend freaking out over it.

If you read comments under the photos, a lot of comments are made by people in the pic, joining in the banter. You can always remove any tag placed on your name in a photo also.

What I'm saying is that the only people upset by these pages are the people caught performing sex acts in public. I already explained the risk you're running when you decide to do that stuff in the middle of a club full of people and girls with cameras. All fun and games until someone gets caught. Anyway, those sort of photos are now being taken down very quickly by all admins and the pages have become clean enough again and generally a good laugh.

As for the 'why do people do it?' question, the answer is exactly above. It's obviously only for a laugh and infairness, I found them hilarious for the most part and so did a whole lot of others apparently.

I can understand people criticising the page because of the rude pics. That was OTT. However, with them gone, it's clean fun. Anyone who is ridiculing them now is a bit dry in my opinion and needs to see the lighter side of it.

The pic can generally only be put up on the page by friends and it certainly can only be tagged by friends, so if a person has a real bother with the pic, then surely a good friend would take it down if they saw their friend freaking out over it.

If you read comments under the photos, a lot of comments are made by people in the pic, joining in the banter. You can always remove any tag placed on your name in a photo also.

What I'm saying is that the only people upset by these pages are the people caught performing sex acts in public. I already explained the risk you're running when you decide to do that stuff in the middle of a club full of people and girls with cameras. All fun and games until someone gets caught. Anyway, those sort of photos are now being taken down very quickly by all admins and the pages have become clean enough again and generally a good laugh.

As for the 'why do people do it?' question, the answer is exactly above. It's obviously only for a laugh and infairness, I found them hilarious for the most part and so did a whole lot of others apparently.

I can understand people criticising the page because of the rude pics. That was OTT. However, with them gone, it's clean fun. Anyone who is ridiculing them now is a bit dry in my opinion and needs to see the lighter side of it.

I would think none of the girls in the pics posted in this thread would feel very happy about it, I wouldn't. If my friends posted them just on their page I'd be, take it off, untagging doesn't stop people from seeing it.

You've answered my question really, they're up there for a laugh in most cases for everyone except the people in the picture.

As for not doing things in public, fair enough. I didn't go to Uni at that age and can honestly say i've never done anything like that, but hey, you know everyone does do things they wouldn't in the cold light of day, you will have regrets enough without the whole college looking at it.

I would think none of the girls in the pics posted in this thread would feel very happy about it, I wouldn't. If my friends posted them just on their page I'd be, take it off, untagging doesn't stop people from seeing it.

You've answered my question really, they're up there for a laugh in most cases for everyone except the people in the picture.

As for not doing things in public, fair enough. I didn't go to Uni at that age and can honestly say i've never done anything like that, but hey, you know everyone does do things they wouldn't in the cold light of day, you will have regrets enough without the whole college looking at it.
Era we'll just agree to disagree on this because we could be here for the night.

I suppose you either laugh away at these pages or you hate them. Fair enough. I laugh away at them anyway....

Era we'll just agree to disagree on this because we could be here for the night.

I suppose you either laugh away at these pages or you hate them. Fair enough. I laugh away at them anyway....

Just make absolutely sure you can get through your 4 years of college, never getting drunk enough to have any sort of fumbling session where you may be seen by anyone, and i'm sure you'll be fine;)

Just make absolutely sure you can get through your 4 years of college, never getting drunk enough to have any sort of fumbling session where you may be seen by anyone, and i'm sure you'll be fine;)
I got through my 4 years and my masters year unscaved thanks!:D

These pages weren't around then but cameras were and people talked. 'I had my fun and that's all that matters' was my motto after every night out. The less worked up you get to these things, the better they will turn out for you in the end.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼