Serial child killer Black’s past revealed to trial.

Rutland and Matlock will no doubt be disgusted by the actions of the Crown lawyer.

Serial child killer Black’s past revealed to trial
By David Young

Saturday, October 08, 2011

CHILD serial killer Robert Black’s horrific past has been revealed to a stunned jury at his trial in the North for the murder of another schoolgirl.

The paedophile was unmasked as Armagh Crown Court heard, for the first time, that the Scottish van driver has already been convicted of murdering three young girls, abducting a fourth and attempting to snatch another.

Black, 64, now stands accused of kidnapping and murdering nine-year-old Jennifer Cardy in the North 30 years ago.

Jennifer was abducted as she cycled to a friend’s house in the Co Antrim village of Ballinderry in 1981. Her body was found floating in a dam 10 miles away near Hillsborough, Co Down. She had been sexually assaulted.

Legal motivations had prevented the killer’s criminal record being disclosed to the jury during the first eight days of the trial.

But that changed as Crown lawyer Toby Hedworth QC revealed the defendant had been convicted of murdering Susan Maxwell, 11, Caroline Hogg, 5, and Sarah Harper, 10, in the 1980s and the attempted kidnap of a girl aged 15, in 1988.

He said the delivery driver’s reign of terror ended in 1990 when he was arrested with a six- year-old girl gagged, bound and stuffed head first into a sleeping bag in the back of his van.

Black denies kidnapping and murdering Jennifer

Not sure if this is true or not but supposedly the six year old girl he was caught with at the time was the daughter of a police officer who pulled him over with out knowing Black had his child in the boot.

Not sure if this is true or not but supposedly the six year old girl he was caught with at the time was the daughter of a police officer who pulled him over with out knowing Black had his child in the boot.

Where in the name of fawk did you hear that?

There's no way a police officer would be allowed to stay on duty if his daughter was after being abducted. Pretty sure aswell IF that scenario had happened the police officer would have had him shot dead on the spot.

I don't know why you think I would have a problem with this, I haven't.

It's all a big storm over nothing anyway really it's common knowledge who Robert Black is and what he's done. It's a bit like Larry Murphy being on trial there and his previous convictions not being known.

As far as I am aware it is legal now to divulge previous convictions where it Can be shown as relevant and these are, if however he had a conviction for burglary, that wouldn't be relevant. Unless of course you are suggesting all burglars would also be likely to be child killers, which of course is nonsense.

As for Red Baron, the moon is made of cream cheese

How can his record have been revealed to the jury during a trial? Surely that would prejudice the verdict?

How can his record have been revealed to the jury during a trial? Surely that would prejudice the verdict?

I'm not entirely sure of the newish laws around this, but I have read a few things some time ago.

My understanding is if the prosecution can show relevance then it can be divulged. It's not automatic, the prosecution and defence have to argue their case outside of the presence of the jury and a judge then decides if it's relevant or not,

I'm not entirely sure of the newish laws around this, but I have read a few things some time ago.
My understanding is if the prosecution can show relevance then it can be divulged. It's not automatic, the prosecution and defence have to argue their case outside of the presence of the jury and a judge then decides if it's relevant or not,
Fair enough. The prick doesn't deserve a break anyway.

Should we bring back the death penalty? A referendum. Crimes such as the rape and murder of children deserve the full wrath of the law. Death.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼