Scottish Independence?

How would you vote in the Scottish Referendum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A free and independant Scotland says Yes but Ulster will still say No.

That's a ridiculous comment to make.

First of all, Ulster says Yes. There are 9 counties in Ulster and the majority would have favoured being part of the South. It is only in the 6 counties that Unionists achieved a majority. Now to say that "Ulster" - as you seem to think constitutes the 6 counties - will always say no is not true either. Look at the gains SF are set to make in this election. The gap is closing.

And finally, the main reason your statement is ridiculous is that the link that Unionists have with the Crown is through Scotland. They are Ulster-Scots.

If Scotland were to leave the Union there would be no reason for Unionists to be in favour of it and they would be in a situation were if they wanted to maintain the historical and cultural link they would have to form a union with Scotland...which I don't think a new Scottish state would take on board.

Scottish Independence would lead to a United Ireland.

Are they a net contributor? I don't know.
I dont know but would guess they are not

That's a ridiculous comment to make.

First of all, Ulster says Yes. There are 9 counties in Ulster and the majority would have favoured being part of the South. It is only in the 6 counties that Unionists achieved a majority. Now to say that "Ulster" - as you seem to think constitutes the 6 counties - will always say no is not true either. Look at the gains SF are set to make in this election. The gap is closing.

And finally, the main reason your statement is ridiculous is that the link that Unionists have with the Crown is through Scotland. They are Ulster-Scots.

If Scotland were to leave the Union there would be no reason for Unionists to be in favour of it and they would be in a situation were if they wanted to maintain the historical and cultural link they would have to form a union with Scotland...which I don't think a new Scottish state would take on board.

Scottish Independence would lead to a United Ireland.

1. By 'Ulster' he was referring to the 6 counties. We all know that. Dont be a pedant.
2. The 6 counties, if put to the vote would have a majority in favour of Union.
3. The Ulster Scots angle you allude to is rubbish. they may be Scots by heritage but are loyal to the Queen of England. Scotland's secession would be a good development but not much of a deciding factor for Unionists in the North.

Are they a net contributor? I don't know.

There seems to be some dissagreement on the issue, The SNP says yes, Other say no. This is the best verifiable link I could find, Sorry, Its a bit out of date. Most of the rest a quick google throws up are opinion pieces on other fora.

The treatment of tax/spending ratios within the UK by the Parliament's critics is selective. It has been suggested that Scotland contributes 5% less to the Exchequer, yet receives 20% more expenditure than population indices would merit. The alleged imbalance between Scotland's share of UK public spending and tax contribution to the UK pool arises solely because tax revenues and royalties from North Sea Oil and Gas production are ignored.This is partly because no agreed conventions have existed to attribute North Sea revenues and royalties between Scotland and the rest of the UK, and partly because the SNP claims regarding the revenues have made this a matter of political controversy.

http://www.scottishaffairs.org/backiss/pdfs/sa19/SA19_Mair_and_McAteer.pdf

The Telegraph today says that England subsidises Scotland to the tune of £23 billion per annum - don't know how accurate it is - the writer is very anti-Scottish anyway.

But if it's true, there won't be much talk of independence.

Money rules ok.

Odd how the Welsh party did so badly (can't spell their name).

There's enough oil and gas left to get the Scots going - most of the North Sea resources are in Scottish territorial waters.

See, The debate there is whether the Scotland/England sea border goes at 90Ëš from Berwick or at a 45Ëš angle towards Norway. If it is the latter it would put a lot of North Sea oil in English hands.

From my reading of it in the last few days it all seems to come down to the oil, If they have control of it, They will probably be able to fund themselves.

This discussion is stretching over two forums and a few threads so I'll start one. As stated elsewhere, I'm not up to speed on this subject. But what do you think?

Will it be as jungy thinks, An easy succession over the medium term? Somehow, Even if a sizable majority of Scottish people are in favor, I can't see the sizable royalist elements, Not to mention England, Agreeing to such a move. Not only does Scotland have a large UK navy presence, What about the North sea oil fields?

Could it be some more powerful form of Home rule, Just disregarding anything Westminster has to say? A 'free state' with the Queen as head of state?

They should look at how things worked out for us and run a mile, the military are tied up together so it would be more complicated then a lot of people are saying

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jezahel- Vampires Can't Weld

The Pavilion, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼