Scottish Independence?

How would you vote in the Scottish Referendum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This discussion is stretching over two forums and a few threads so I'll start one. As stated elsewhere, I'm not up to speed on this subject. But what do you think?

Will it be as jungy thinks, An easy succession over the medium term? Somehow, Even if a sizable majority of Scottish people are in favor, I can't see the sizable royalist elements, Not to mention England, Agreeing to such a move. Not only does Scotland have a large UK navy presence, What about the North sea oil fields?

Could it be some more powerful form of Home rule, Just disregarding anything Westminster has to say? A 'free state' with the Queen as head of state?

Edit: Poll added 13/9/14. Question is what way would you vote, not who you will think will win.

Last edited:
Oil won't be a problem in the medium term

And really only Faslane is of massive military importance, so it can be kept as a sort of treaty port.

I also see them retaining the Queen as head of state after Independence, like Canada, Australia, NZ etc.

I thought the bulk of the submarine force was based in the Hebrides?

I can't see it being as easy as this if I'm honest, There will always be some sort of militant element against any sort of independence movement.

One or two bases can easily be maintained.

But I think other than Faslane, the dockyard at Rosythe is the only Navy presence in Scotland.

Location is not so important for the air force and army anyway.

I'm sure there will be a virulently anti-Independence movement and I'd say its' members will form the establishment soon after Independence.

I'd also expect the first referendum on Independence to fail and then another one to be held a couple of decades later and that one to pass.

Although it looks like the SNP are about the scrape an overall majority, don't equate this to surge in the independence movement; the vast majority of Scottish people will never vote for independence.

I don't ever see it happening, but will always be spoken as a possibility. In the end Scotland will always stay neatly in the bosom of London.

Like up North, it will come down to loyalty to the half crown. Not that I blame them mind.

Last edited:
I don't ever see it happening, but will always be spoken as a possibility. In the end Scotland will always stay neatly in the bosom of London.

Like up North, it will come down to loyalty to the half crown
. Not that I blame them mind.

I would say that it is more an economical decision for Scotland than the North.
If the Scots were a net contributor to the UK coffers in sure they would rather keep the cash and manage themselves. Obvious choice.
Im quite sure that the Unionists would not do the same.

I would say that it is more an economical decision for Scotland than the North.
If the Scots were a net contributor to the UK coffers in sure they would rather keep the cash and manage themselves. Obvious choice.
Im quite sure that the Unionists would not do the same.

Are they a net contributor? I don't know.

If they are, for how long and is it going to be that way in the future?

We ourselves were for a time net contributors to the EU (for a short time).

Agree there'll be a referendum and it will fail first time. SNP have taken from Labour, Tories AND Lib Dems. Interesting to see how Alex Salmond will broach the subject in his press conference.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Seattle Grunge Experience
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

25th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: 420 Comedy Show

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼