Richard Waghorne is a cunt.

Will someone PLEASE think of the cats

cute%20cat.jpg

And the dogs

doggy.jpg

Though that dog looks like he's already been turned.

Persephone said:
hee hee hee this is true.

Seriously though i don't get why some people have such a big issue with allowing gays to get married. It is not like their lives are going to change in anyway because of it.

Well, to play devil's advocate, maybe they think you already have the same rights as everyone else: you have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex. I mean, if you're a traditional Catholic, for example, that's what marriage is. It's a union that has as its central purpose the biological production of children. If that's your concept of marriage then wanting to 'marry' someone of the same gender makes no sense. It's like wanting to buy a toaster so you can have more fresh juice.

What someone who thinks like this needs to understand is that it's not THEIR concept of marriage that's up for grabs, it's the legal one. And the legal one can't be held to ransom by the unreasonable and/or unjust demands of one group, because people can't/shouldn't have to opt out of the state the same way that they can opt out of religion.

Persephone said:
Why would you want to marry a man?
I agree! Why would any man?!

But if this law comes in, we'll have to!
End of the family.
Crime against God.
Attack on values.
etc.
etc.

*EDIT Having read Tras' post I realize I'm not playing Devil's Advocate, as much as I'm playing Devil.

trasnanadtonnta said:
Well, to play devil's advocate, maybe they think you already have the same rights as everyone else: you have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex. I mean, if you're a traditional Catholic, for example, that's what marriage is. It's a union that has as its central purpose the biological production of children. If that's your concept of marriage then wanting to 'marry' someone of the same gender makes no sense. It's like wanting to buy a toaster so you can have more fresh juice.

What someone who thinks like this needs to understand is that it's not THEIR concept of marriage that's up for grabs, it's the legal one. And the legal one can't be held to ransom by the unreasonable and/or unjust demands of one group, because people can't/shouldn't have to opt out of the state the same way that they can opt out of religion.

You see thats the problem right there we don't have the same rights as everyone else. God forbid if something happened to a family member or friend and they needed a blood transfusion or kidney etc etc and i was an exact match they wouldn't take it as apparently all gays are big dirty whores and we are the only ones that get STIs.

If my partner is sick in hospital i cannot enquire about their status or even visit them as only family members & spouses are allowed do that. Its the same deal with tax status & inheritance rights we don't have those either.

All they want is for the union to be recognised by the state and afforded the same rights as everyone else.

the puerto rican feen said:
What did you expect ?

I expected a country that boasts about being a multi-cultural society to be tolerant & understanding of change but then again this is a country that only made homosexuality legal in 1991 so i can wish in one hand & shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

Persephone said:
You see thats the problem right there we don't have the same rights as everyone else. God forbid if something happened to a family member or friend and they needed a blood transfusion or kidney etc etc and i was an exact match they wouldn't take it as apparently all gays are big dirty whores and we are the only ones that get STIs.

If my partner is sick in hospital i cannot enquire about their status or even visit them as only family members & spouses are allowed do that. Its the same deal with tax status & inheritance rights we don't have those either.

All they want is for the union to be recognised by the state and afforded the same rights as everyone else.

[devil's advocate] I mean in relation to marriage. It's not as though I have the right to marry whomever I love, but you don't. Nobody has that right, technically. Everyone only has the right to marry people of the opposite gender, over a certain age. That's all I was saying. [/devil's advocate]

I'm in agreement with you, Perse, but you asked how anyone could have a problem with it, and I'm just saying one way where I think that someone could. I don't think they'd have a right to be upset on those grounds, but when did that ever stop people?

Persephone said:
I expected a country that boasts about being a multi-cultural society to be tolerant & understanding of change but then again this is a country that only made homosexuality legal in 1991 so i can wish in one hand & shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

Are you registered to vote yet?

trasnanadtonnta said:
[devil's advocate] I mean in relation to marriage. It's not as though I have the right to marry whomever I love, but you don't. Nobody has that right, technically. Everyone only has the right to marry people of the opposite gender, over a certain age. That's all I was saying. [/devil's advocate]

I'm in agreement with you, Perse, but you asked how anyone could have a problem with it, and I'm just saying one way where I think that someone could. I don't think they'd have a right to be upset on those grounds, but when did that ever stop people?

I know that hun i was just going off on a rant again :D

If that couple are successful in their case and i hope that they are then the next big issue will be adoption.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Darren K

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼