Pubs reopening June 29th

Stacky I’ve noted a huge renaissance in pubs (not bars ) people simply don’t go to restaurants in anywhere near the numbers they used to ,also pubs that do food (not really pubs ) are way back from where they were only a few years ago , A lot of this is in consideration of members of you circle of friends who may be impacted more by the cost of living crisis than other and the norm now is to go for a few pints ,if of course you are able to go out ,and avoid the restaurants . I know there are calls for the vat rate to be reduced back to 9% but this alone will not have a major impact in my view ,there are many factors . In the reduction of drinking and even the reduction of pub numbers over the last 20 years you can see the parallel in rising mental health issues and general withdrawal from “in person society “ led by social media,the damage being done by the luvvies and the incels drinking at home while doomscrolling is certainly adding to the cost of alchohol abuse but the pub seems to get the brunt . In time the benefit of the pub for one’s overall well being with be recognised , It’s a pity that and as I have written before you’ll have the Goverment having to subsidise rural pubs to keep the doors open , The trajectory of the numbers in your post are actually infact the canary in the coal mine of where society is going ,surveilled and controlled ,cashless and loss of freedoms .the demise of the pub will be closely related to the demise of your civil liberties, A healthy social democracy can be gauged by the amount of small businesses out there , We are heading in the wrong direction .
The cost increases in a basic staple like a pint is also putting people off even though inflation has fallen to 2% form a high last year.

Transport options late at night with the lack of taxis etc and people just going to each other houses with their own bag of drink and having their own music etc.

People have spent small fortunes during covid on home entertainment systems, home bars, gyms, saunas, music studios etc.

Younger people saving for weddings/holidays and houses.

I have nieces and nephews in their 20's who now just pick a good restaurant every other weekend and spend a saturday night there instead of the madness on Washington St/Oliver Plunkett St.

Govt may lose on the vat etc from the closure of pubs and the decline of drinking but they will save on the costs to the health system and policing not that Cork has many Guards anyway in the first place.

Social media is a disaster for mental health and pub business with people trapped scrolling nonsense 24/7.

Small, well run local bars that do the basics well will always survive.

Connollys of Leap posted the below earlier.

If a pub serves just pizza, is their entire revenue eligible for the 9% VAT rate should it return, or just the revenue made from their food?

The Connolly family has owned @connollysofleap pub since the early 1950s in rural West Cork. Now in its third generation, I, Sam, reopened the venue in 2014.

We write with heavy hearts, burdened by the challenges of running a small business in rural Ireland. Our establishment is more than just a business; it’s a vital part of local employment, a haven for artists, and a symbol of resilience.

Over the years, we’ve seen the pulse of community, music, and livelihoods flow through our doors. Despite our efforts to provide employment and foster talent, the weight of high VAT ratesand rising costs threatens our survival. Each day, we navigate through financial obstacles, striving to keep our doors open and dreams alive. The recent surge in VAT rates has exacerbated our struggle, tightening the noose around our necks.

We urge you to join us in advocating for fairness and sustainability.please follow and support the @vat9.now page Lowering the VAT rate to 9% goes beyond financial figures; it’s about preserving the essence of rural Ireland, protecting livelihoods, and nurturing the aspirations of future generations.

#vat9 #smallbusiness
#ireland #vat9now
I go to Connelly's regularly as I have friends in Leap and I know Sam well, they have an absolutely brilliant venue there with gigs every week a customer built sound system and the best Pizza in Cork imo.

Can't be easy to run an operation like that in a small rural village.

Pubs have just about priced your faithful correspondent out of the weekly cold beer market.

That took some doing but they've done it.

You blew it up! Damn you! God damn you all to hell!

Seem to remember the game changer was when they changed the law so that premises couldn't have their alcohol license renewed unless they had a tax compliance certificate. There used to be a number of places that weren't exactly on good terms with revenue and got out/were forced out when that law came in I think.

A particular area where I used to drink had 6 pubs within 100 yards. That's down to 2 active now and one other that appears to be on the verge of closing if it hasn't already done so. Very changed times.
As Mrs Merton might have asked...Tell me Soundman what attracted you to an are which had six pubs within a hundred yards?

I go to Connelly's regularly as I have friends in Leap and I know Sam well, they have an absolutely brilliant venue there with gigs every week a customer built sound system and the best Pizza in Cork imo.

Can't be easy to run an operation like that in a small rural village.

I've only been there once, there was a great buzz as the weather was class. Sam let me go into the venue for a look and to see the big Pink Floyd banner

I've only been there once, there was a great buzz as the weather was class. Sam let me go into the venue for a look and to see the big Pink Floyd banner
Ya he’s old man Paddy would have been friends with some of the band members and they used visit regularly way back.

The City doesn’t have a venue anywhere near as good as Connellys in my view.

I know for a fact he looks after his staff and the musicians very well

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

Conchur White

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼