President Trump 2016-2024 - Official Discussion Thread

Clinton vs Trump for 2016 POTUS

• Clinton

Votes: 108 46.6%
  • Trump

Votes: 124 53.4%

• Total voters
You’re not making an analysis. You’re just making assertions.

My analysis is of the mind-set of both Trump and Putin and how this affects their individual strategies. You, on the other hand, are just asserting that Putin would have invaded Ukraine even if Trump won a second term - which I disagree with. This central disagreement has set you off bigly. You have zero evidence for your claim, whereas mine is supported by the fact that he waited till after Trump lost to make his move on Ukraine
YOU claim that you don’t think Trump is strong (whatever that means in this context) but you claim to know what Putin thinks, because he’s “old school”, again whatever that means.
Again, I never argued that Trump was or wasn't strong. I argued that his perception in Putin's eyes was that he was strong. I really don't understand why you struggle to understand this point. It suggests that you are so blinded by your hatred of Trump and the Republicans that you can't assess things objectively.

YOU assert that it’s no coincidence that Putin waited until after Trump lost the election, your only evidence being that Putin attacked now rather than earlier. There’s many, many other things that Putin would have to consider when timing an attack, but you are privileging his consideration of who the president might be.
I never said it was the only reason. Of course the state of Nato's perceived strength was a factor in Putin's decision. I would argue that whoever was in charge of the US at the time of his invasion was of greater importance to him when deciding if or not to invade.

Finally, Putin is doing poorly in Ukraine. You don’t demonstrate that he would be doing even worse if Trump were president, except to assert that he would not have attacked at all if Trump was in power for “reasons”.
Russia's military performance in this war is a separate discussion. My point was that he wouldn't have invaded in the first place.

So do some actual analysis if you want an actual discussion. Your silly comments on Biden alone tell me that you don’t know what’s going on here.
If I had known that my comments about Biden would have set you off I would have left them out. He seems like a nice man and definitely more affable and decent than Trump. Sadly, though, he comes across as someone who should be in an old folks home.

So, tell me this.. If Trump was truly such a Putin supporter and truly anti-Ukraine when he was President, why didn't Putin invade then? Surely that would have been the optimal time, no?

My analysis is of the mind-set of both Trump and Putin and how this affects their individual strategies. You, on the other hand, are just asserting that Putin would have invaded Ukraine even if Trump won a second term - which I disagree with. This central disagreement has set you off bigly. You have zero evidence for your claim, whereas mine is supported by the fact that he waited till after Trump lost to make his move on Ukraine

Again, I never argued that Trump was or wasn't strong. I argued that his perception in Putin's eyes was that he was strong. I really don't understand why you struggle to understand this point. It suggests that you are so blinded by your hatred of Trump and the Republicans that you can't assess things objectively.

I never said it was the only reason. Of course the state of Nato's perceived strength was a factor in Putin's decision. I would argue that whoever was in charge of the US at the time of his invasion was of greater importance to him when deciding if or not to invade.

Russia's military performance in this war is a separate discussion. My point was that he wouldn't have invaded in the first place.

If I had known that my comments about Biden would have set you off I would have left them out. He seems like a nice man and definitely more affable and decent than Trump. Sadly, though, he comes across as someone who should be in an old folks home.

So, tell me this.. If Trump was truly such a Putin supporter and truly anti-Ukraine when he was President, why didn't Putin invade then? Surely that would have been the optimal time, no?
No. I explained my position. You merely asserted yours. And the reason you have is that you can’t prove what someone’s “mindset” is. You have no access to it.

Part of your problem is that you attribute too much to emotion. You may be telling us something about yourself. I wasn’t “set off” by your comments on Biden. I’m just pointing out that they are simplistic and wrong. Biden makes gaffs. He is old and certainly should not run again. But he has been remarkable effective in policy making, given what he has to work with. Trump spouts nonsense. Part of this is age but the larger part is his (utter lack of) character.

In any case, to say it again, unless the US was a dictatorship under Trump (he tried, but failed) he had a Democratic Congress. So whatever he thinks of Putin, he could not throw the US behind him. Insofar as Putin took the US into account, I think that it’s more likely that he thought that Trump might wins second term and get a Republican Congress. This did not happen, so he invaded anyway, vastly overestimating his ability to knock out Ukraine quickly. The all has to do with the real makeup of Russian politics and military and little to do with some “mindset” about Biden.

Your statement that part of your “proof” is that Putin invaded when Biden was president is pretty stupid to be honest. I hope someone told you in school that correlation does not necessarily mean causality.

In any case, to say it again, unless the US was a dictatorship under Trump (he tried, but failed) he had a Democratic Congress. So whatever he thinks of Putin, he could not throw the US behind him. Insofar as Putin took the US into account, I think that it’s more likely that he thought that Trump might wins second term and get a Republican Congress. This did not happen, so he invaded anyway, vastly overestimating his ability to knock out Ukraine quickly. The all has to do with the real makeup of Russian politics and military and little to do with some “mindset” about Biden.
Do you have any evidence to support this? I'd love to see it.

What do you think Trump would have done to benefit Putin in Ukraine had he control of Congress? Didn't he control it for the first two years of his term?

What we do know:

Putin invaded and annexed the Crimea during the Obama/Biden administration.

Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine during the Biden administration.

During the 4 years in between, while (according to you) Putin had a pro-Putin, anti-Ukraine puppet in the White house, he chose not to make any significant moves.

If you don't believe that whoever was in charge of the US had a strong bearing on his decision to invade, then good for you.

I disagree.

What do you think Trump would have done to benefit Putin in Ukraine had he control of Congress? Didn't he control it for the first two years of his term?

What we do know:

Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine during the Biden administration.

During the 4 years in between, while (according to you) Putin had a pro-Putin, anti-Ukraine puppet in the White house, he chose not to make any significant moves.

If you don't believe that whoever was in charge of the US had a strong bearing on his decision to invade, then good for you.

I disagree.
You’re the one not offering proof. Putin takes Crimea during one Democratic president’s administration. He attacks Ukraine during another. Those are two coincidences, unless you think that who the US President was was Putin’s most major consideration. Is that what you think?

Also, you ave shown nothing about the value of “mindsets” whatever that’s supposed to be.

Btw, Trump did actively benefit Putin relative to Ukraine by trying to claim that Ukraine was behind the attempt to elect Clinton and that the Russia thing was a false trail to lead away from this. Like most of Trump’s conspiracies, this one lasted the usual ten minutes.

I’m amazed that you put so much stock of who the President is. You do know you’re parroting a Republican talking point, don’t you?

What we do know:

I disagree.
With Biden and Obama you knew what you got. Trump is and was a loose cannon, taking out Qasem Solemani was something Obama seriously considered but backed down at the last minute as the consequences could have been fairly significant.Was not a problem for Trump to pull the trigger on old Qasem. I think Putin would not have gone into Ukraine if Trump was still in office as he was an unpredictable rogue that could go any way. This is the PROC just another useless opinion.

Anyone hear about Nancy Pelosi's husband getting attacked with a hammer by an "intruder" in his house? Mainstream trying (badly) to spin it as a MAGA nutter.

First off you would need a Navy Seal Special Ops team to get past security into the house. The guy was invited in and was in his underwear when police arrived. It was a gay rendevue gone wrong. Fucking degenerate.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sarah Buckley & BrĂłna Keogh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cops and Robert

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼