Phrases you've picked up from pop culture

Well I have devoted my life to the origins of the word kibosh but then I just googled and discovered it was a lot easier.
It looks like the Yiddish angle doesnt hold much weight under scrutiny*

*according to google.

Maybe you should read it again. I quoted from it earlier. :lol:

You left out the bit where the author points out that there's no evidence that the supposed original phrase ever actually existed.

And Irish has a long written history, the oldest vernacular literary language in the world. You'd think it would have turned up somewhere along the way.

Lol

You left out the bit where the author points out that there's no evidence that the supposed original phrase ever actually existed.

And Irish has a long written history, the oldest vernacular literary language in the world. You'd think it would have turned up somewhere along the way.

Lol
What evidence does he give in favour of yiddish? Why does he gloss over the first appearence of the word in a book based in a Irish district?

It has turned up? As the two irish words(more google) Caip bháis - pronounced as kibosh - which is also a word in Irish for a candle-snuffer

What evidence does he give in favour of yiddish? Why does he gloss over the first appearence of the word in a book based in a Irish district?

It has turned up? As the two irish words(more google) Caip bháis - pronounced as kibosh - which is also a word in Irish for a candle-snuffer

Because it's not the first appearance of the word, you moron.

I didn't say it was definitely Yiddish, it seems more likely though. The OED agrees.

If you google caidhp an bháis, the second result is this thread.

Lolzers

And "caip bháis" is pronounced "cap-voish" not "kibosh".

Because it's not the first appearance of the word, you moron.

I didn't say it was definitely Yiddish, it seems more likely though. The OED agrees.

If you google caidhp an bháis, the second result is this thread.

Lolzers
It's the first appearance of the word in english, which is the point, you moron.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sprints
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

25th Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼