Phrases you've picked up from pop culture

Where? This should be good.

From the article you apparently read:

The word originated in Britain in the early part of the nineteenth century. Until recently, it was believed that the first written evidence was in Charles Dickens’s Sketches by Boz of 1836, where he spelled it phonetically as kye-bosk (Douglas Wilson of the American Dialect Society has recently discovered that the same piece appeared in the magazine Bell’s Life in London the year before).
Now we have electronic databases of newspapers and periodicals that cover this period, slightly earlier appearances are known. It turned up in a number of London journals within a few days of each other in late 1834, following a case in a London magistrates’ court that concerned two chimney sweeps, who were convicted of having touted for business by crying their services in the streets

Sounds more Yiddish than anything else. I read some where recently that the African American slang word 'Dig' is meant to be derived from the Irish to understand (I'm not even going to attempt to try and spell it as I speak fuck all Irish)

I seriously, seriously doubt that. Another one that cracks me up is often trotted out line that Drogheda have a crescent moon and star of Islam on their coat of arms because some Ottoman Sultan sent over grub during the famine. Utter tosh , for a start it isn't even a Islamic crescent and star on their coat of arms. + I very much doubt some Turkish lad in the 1800's gave a fuck about what was going on Ireland , not to mind even heard of the place.

The Sultan of Turkey was going to send 10,000 pounds in aid to Ireland during the Famine, but british diplomats had a hissy fit with him as it would have offended royal protocol if somebody else was seen to give more money than Victoria, so he instead gave 1,000 pounds.

How does that disprove that kibosh has Irish origins? The first reference is from chimney sweeps the second is the same year as the Dickens piece.

Well your big trump card was that it first appeared in a Dickens story about an Irish neighbourhood. Which it didn't. Those chimney sweeps could have been from anywhere.

Were there even such a thing as Irish neighbourhoods in London in the 1830's? Seems a bit early to me. Mass migration wouldn't have started until the late 1840's for obvious reasons. And why, if it is of Irish origin, did it originate in London and not Ireland? Did these immigrants just get off the boat and suddenly start putting kiboshes on everything? All the evidence points to it emanating from a more established immigrant community, like, say, I don't know, the Jews?

Why do you want it to be Irish so much? Any serious research has dismissed the notion.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Love Buzz

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼