Official VAR thread

Without asking the TMO or the bunker did Barnes make any decision of his own back in the rugby final. The answer is no . Best referee in the world is a joke.

I agree with most of that.

Id watch all Munsters games, Irish internationals along with whatever else sky have on.

For the most part the Video ref works fine.

Football seems to have taken the aspects that work and ditched them for VAR . Id have the ref and VAR miked and those watching on TV can see the rationale for decisions in real time. You may not agree with it but you can see at least how theyve reached their decision.

It makes a difference.
You or I might be accepting, but the general football watching public...give me a break. In most countries, the general fan culture is aggressive tribalism.

Barnes received family death threats in a sport where we've been led to believe the watching public are a higher breed of individual. Mic-ing a soccer ref would just be giving them more rope to hang themselves.

Enough is enough now. Time to admit it's all wrong...though I know there's little chance of that.

No.

Dress it up whatever way you want. The final decision will always be a subjective one made by an individual (or group of) human(s). There will NEVER be consistency and always be controversy in this case. There's just no getting away from that.

The myth of Rugby being the exemplary older brother has just been destroyed this last month, by the way.
Two completely different games too. Rugby has always been a stop start game. Football never was. Also, rugby is a relatively high scoring game, football is not.

The one to three goals you get in most matches, should be times of celebration because they are so bloody rare, instead of being ruined by VAR checks killing the joy.

We need to back off a bit. Expectation has far exceeded what's plausible in terms of what we can expect from refereeing performance. It's been a total frenzy for years now, and I'd imagine it's only having a detrimental affect on refereeing numbers, which is an existential threat to any sport.
Can't remember which game it was but UEFA were advertising for referees the other night. You'd have to have some masochistic tendencies to want to become a ref nowadays.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival : Susan O' Neill

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼