Official VAR thread

More transparency is definitely welcome - although stripping it back to the bare bones would be my preference.

My one reservation, based on the Luis Diaz situation, is that there can be a hell of a lot of chatter going on - with at least 4 people speaking back & forth - so they're going to need to think hard on how to make it consumable / understandable for fans.

We don't need to hear all the faffing about when they set up the lines for offside, for example, but we do need to hear why specific incidents are cleared or flagged for the ref's attention. From reading the Spanish one I think they are initially just going to share the audio for when the ref is called to the pitchside monitor.

More transparency is definitely welcome - although stripping it back to the bare bones would be my preference.

My one reservation, based on the Luis Diaz situation, is that there can be a hell of a lot of chatter going on - with at least 4 people speaking back & forth - so they're going to need to think hard on how to make it consumable / understandable for fans.

We don't need to hear all the faffing about when they set up the lines for offside, for example, but we do need to hear why specific incidents are cleared or flagged for the ref's attention. From reading the Spanish one I think they are initially just going to share the audio for when the ref is called to the pitchside monitor.

Id have been a big supporter of VAR being introduced but theyve made a complete dogs dinner of it.

Taken an awful lot of joy out of watching the game tbh.

The 10-20 second lag whether you can celebrate a goal or not is particularly bad.

Id have been a big supporter of VAR being introduced but theyve made a complete dogs dinner of it.

Taken an awful lot of joy out of watching the game tbh.

The 10-20 second lag whether you can celebrate a goal or not is particularly bad.

I'd agree.

I do think VAR has met the aim of improving the overall accuracy of key decisions...but at the cost of reducing fans' enjoyment of the game.

If I had to choose one or the other, having lived through VAR, I'd rather wind the clock back.

If they clarified the offside and the handball rules it would make life easier.
For example, if a player can only be offside if there is clear daylight between him and the marker - not saying that should be the rule just as an example - or that a handball is where the hand is moved towards the ball or in the way of the ball.

This drawing lines for 3 or 4 mins is a joke, if the decision has to take that long then it is too close to call.

If they clarified the offside and the handball rules it would make life easier.
For example, if a player can only be offside if there is clear daylight between him and the marker - not saying that should be the rule just as an example - or that a handball is where the hand is moved towards the ball or in the way of the ball.

This drawing lines for 3 or 4 mins is a joke, if the decision has to take that long then it is too close to call.
They need to just bring in the automated one they use in CL for offside. From what I know there hasn't been an issue with it? Maybe I'm wrong? It would cut out half of the shit that has made VAR unbearable.

Everton robbed of a goal last night. You'd have to feel for poor DCL too, he doesn't score that often either.

Absolutely no way did Gomes foul Udogie. Both the ref and linesman had a clear view. Attwell should have had the balls to stick with his decision

Everton robbed of a goal last night. You'd have to feel for poor DCL too, he doesn't score that often either.

Absolutely no way did Gomes foul Udogie. Both the ref and linesman had a clear view. Attwell should have had the balls to stick with his decision
Sorry now but it was a clear foul.
Udogie was suspended for yesterday's game.
The foul was on Emerson.
So it was chalked off correctly.

The only place I agree with you is in the notion of refs sticking to their guns more but then you look at the Boli second yellow which VAR can't interfere with which will probably be rescinded and cost them the game.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Open Mic Night

Fred Zeppelins, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼