Official VAR thread

I couldn't be bothered digging down to find the official Chelsea, Norwich or FA cup threads but Willian should have had a penalty there. Definite contact and very harsh yelow.

Btw this thread is only for association football, no rugby goys (where the video ref is admittedly usually very good).

Chelsea now down to 9 men after Morata gets a deserved second yellow, for diving in the penalty area :lol:

VAR will have teething problems but it's the way to go and it'll radically reduce the number of poor calls. I don't think any system will fully eradicate what are perceived as being poor calls because some of them can be down to opinions (was it a foul/dive/or did the guy get a slight bit of contact and go down theatrically) rather than fact (was the defenders heel playing the forward on-side or not)

VAR will have teething problems but it's the way to go and it'll radically reduce the number of poor calls. I don't think any system will fully eradicate what are perceived as being poor calls because some of them can be down to opinions (was it a foul/dive/or did the guy get a slight bit of contact and go down theatrically) rather than fact (was the defenders heel playing the forward on-side or not)
Even that stuff can be hard to judge to 100% accuracy at times, regardless of the number of lines you draw on the image because it's often looked at in a 2-dimensional way.

Does the ref have to take the decision of VAR as correct if it differs from his own ? He just calls when if he's unsure on something ?

Does the ref have to take the decision of VAR as correct if it differs from his own ? He just calls when if he's unsure on something ?
Not sure, but if it's not already in place then there should be a "clear and obvious" clause inserted into the laws. Think it's like cricket or rugby league - unless there's sufficient video evidence to overturn the original on field decision then that's the one that stands.

In Italy, the ref goes over to look at the incident on a screen at the sideline. Is it done by an extra official in England? I haven't seen it in action there yet.
Ref seems to put his finger to his ear to hear from VAR official, I presume the 4th official has a screen in his area and communicates with ref via mic.

Not sure, but if it's not already in place then there should be a "clear and obvious" clause inserted into the laws. Think it's like cricket or rugby league - unless there's sufficient video evidence to overturn the original on field decision then that's the one that stands.

Yeah abit like the TMO in rugby . I suppose the goal line technology takes the place of the TMO in a way to deciding goals .Its certainly disrupting the flow of the game but that I expect will pass with time .

It’s been right twice Billy you can’t argue with that.
You can argue with Marriner refusing to commit on the penalty and then taking an age on the 3rd goal, both were evident on the first replay.

They also need to properly enforce the players asking for it and complaining after the decision. Easiest part to fix but neither the FA nor the ref have the balls for it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Old Moderns

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼