Minor Hurling 2022

They’re were a few u16s on this years minor panel, Ben Walsh, Jayden Casey, Barry Walsh, cathal hallihan and one other not sure who played for the u16s over the weekend though

They’re were a few u16s on this years minor panel, Ben Walsh, Jayden Casey, Barry Walsh, cathal hallihan and one other not sure who played for the u16s over the weekend though
Ben Walsh and Jayden Casey played both minor championship games v Limerick & Clare. I'm sure the other 3 you refer were on the extended panel but not on the match day 25 and Cathal Hallihan was ruled out of championship due to injury.

Last edited:
Find the Tony Forristal page on Facebook and click on the match programme, then download and all the teams are shown.

I believe it was Cork Team 4 that won the Sonny Walsh tournament and the captain is Oisin Buckley from Crosshaven who is named among the subs on the programme. I don't believe most players played in the positions they were named on the programme.

Not an iota on Rebel Og or the Echo about a Cork team winning the Sonny Walsh tournament or any of the other Cork teams playing over the weekend.

Cork U-16's defeated Kilkenny but lost to Galway, Limerick defeated Wexford in the final 5-10 to 1-06. Limerick also won the Arrabawn U-15 final defeating Galway by 3 points in the final. Apparently these Limerick teams are very strong with a huge emphasis on physical training, no change in that regard from their recent predecessors. From what I'm hearing the Limerick U-16 team was far better prepared than Cork for last weekends tournament. In winning both tournaments last Saturday it augurs very well for Limerick minors over the next couple of years at least.
In the Arrabawn Cup, Limerick were very lucky to beat one of the Cork teams. Limerick won by 2 points in the end and it was a joke. Sliotar crossed the line by about a meter, limerick keeper picked it clean off the ground and hand passed it to a defender who cleared it. Refs not even rigged out and no linesmen and a smattering of occasional umpires at the Mallow facility. Cork shudda won. I was there. Also what stood out to me was not the physicality of limerick (Galway are bigger) but the gear, training tops, trackers, best of gear etc. in fairness they were a fine team, and the pregame drills showed that, but Christ Cork should have beaten them.

In the Arrabawn Cup, Limerick were very lucky to beat one of the Cork teams. Limerick won by 2 points in the end and it was a joke. Sliotar crossed the line by about a meter, limerick keeper picked it clean off the ground and hand passed it to a defender who cleared it. Refs not even rigged out and no linesmen and a smattering of occasional umpires at the Mallow facility. Cork shudda won. I was there. Also what stood out to me was not the physicality of limerick (Galway are bigger) but the gear, training tops, trackers, best of gear etc. in fairness they were a fine team, and the pregame drills showed that, but Christ Cork should have beaten them.
How many Cork teams was there?

& how many teams were the other big hurling counties sending?

Kerry who were half decent had 1. Galway seemed to have 2 or 3. Wexford had 2. Cork had 4 🙈. I can understand the idea of giving as many lads as possible the chance to be exposed to intercounty, but 4 seemed excessive to me. This comprised 2 teams from City West and 2 from North East. There was some parents quite annoyed that apparently John meyler, who is the manager for both regions and trains both regions midweek, strongly favours city west and when they are playing away, he will travel Wit them every time and not the north east regional team, and only lets city emwrst wear the red Cork jerseys. Seemed odd that on Saturday last during the competitive games when 2 cork teams were against each other that he warmed up the city west team and ignored the north east team. Not saying it’s wrong but parents (mainly GAA heads) believe that it makes the north east team feel like second best. Yet it was north east A team that had the beating of limerick and went so close. Hope they have a better year as u16’s. Not sure how it works now. Do they have trials again or do they retain the u15 as the core and bring new guys if they are doing it at club level going forward

P1 Semi -finals Friday.
Ballincollig v Midleton
Douglas v Valley Rovers
Both in the Mardyke

P2 1/4 finals Friday
Aghada v Bride Rovers
Carrigtwohill v Erins Own
Both on in Killeagh

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Nicole Lonergan

Seventy Seven, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼