Mini Cooper D

Problem: I'm thinking of buying a new Mini Cooper D. They're gonna be 1.6 with 110bhp. All is well so far... but... I'll be waiting till April or May to get my hands on one and it looks like they'll be 28 - 29G. Should I forget it and start looking at other cars or do ye think it'd be worth the wait and the payout??

Problem: I'm thinking of buying a new Mini Cooper D. They're gonna be 1.6 with 110bhp. All is well so far... but... I'll be waiting till April or May to get my hands on one and it looks like they'll be 28 - 29G. Should I forget it and start looking at other cars or do ye think it'd be worth the wait and the payout??

First of all, before anyone else says anything, a decision like that is down to yourself. It's your own choice if you want to wait for it and PAY that much for it. I can see the 1.6D Mini's to be fairly popular and will probably retain their value over the years. Then again, usual mini buyers would be very image conscious and probably hurts the whole style/image to be driving in a rattling, noisy mini. Bear in mind that it's the same engine as the 207 so if you're not that bothered about a mini or a 207, I'd say go for a 207. People would more likely go for a diesel 207 than a diesel Mini. So it'd be a safer bet depriciation wise. Personally, if I was shelling out that kinda money on a new car and wanted a diesel I'd be tempted towards a C4 3 door 1.6Hdi(about €25,495), or a Volvo C30 1.6D (€29,950 but in a totally different league to the Mini).

Resale will be shite, the mini is for the trendy types and once they are no longer fashionable then nobody will buy it as the normal driver will not want the mini as a new fad will have come in, also for a cooper 110bhp from a 1.6 is crap. for 29k there are far better cars you could get. is insurance and running costs and issue?

My advice - new minis are not in the spirit of the old (i.e a cheap small car for the masses) these car are definitely not cheap and they ain't even that small, a fiesta st would beat it hands down in all departments and is 27k brand new - thats if you were looking for a brand new car. its a 2l though

I'm as bad as ever now!! The only reason i'm looking at the diesel is coz of the mileage I do. I have a 206 at the moment and its grand but I want a change. So the 207 is completely out. I saw the new C4's on WRC the other night, they're nice alright but saying that they've got the complete kit on too and there's no way I'm doing that! I think if I was buying a beetle then I'd buy an original and do it up on the side! I'll have to check out the Volvo C30. I haven't seen them yet! Thanks for ye're help though!! ;-))

Why in the name of fuck do you want to drive a piece of shit mini?

I'm as bad as ever now!! The only reason i'm looking at the diesel is coz of the mileage I do. I have a 206 at the moment and its grand but I want a change. So the 207 is completely out. I saw the new C4's on WRC the other night, they're nice alright but saying that they've got the complete kit on too and there's no way I'm doing that! I think if I was buying a beetle then I'd buy an original and do it up on the side! I'll have to check out the Volvo C30. I haven't seen them yet! Thanks for ye're help though!! ;-))

Lad at work has a 1.6Hdi Van that's filthy and on hubcaps but I still think it looks brilliant. And the dash is brilliantly designed as well. Think of what you could have if you put the money for the mini into a C4, you'd get a much better car. If you want to go the sensible rather than quirky route, the C30 is an expensive option but is a much more solid, grown up car. Only fear I'd have is that the 1.6d in that isn't as lively as the Citroen one.

Lad at work has a 1.6Hdi Van that's filthy and on hubcaps but I still think it looks brilliant. And the dash is brilliantly designed as well. Think of what you could have if you put the money for the mini into a C4, you'd get a much better car. If you want to go the sensible rather than quirky route, the C30 is an expensive option but is a much more solid, grown up car. Only fear I'd have is that the 1.6d in that isn't as lively as the Citroen one.

Where's the fun in sensible? Nope can't find it anywhere?? Still too young to grow up!! I know the C4's are lovely cars alright but I've always wanted a mini. I can see myself buying a C4 and then kicking myself in a couple of months time that I didn't hang on. I think I'd be better off at this stage buying shoes! Way easier to make a decision on!!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Horgan Brothers: Princes Of The Picture Theatre
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Henry Glassie: Fieldwork (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼