Local comedy sessions?

I was reading Whazon and it said Rebels Comedy Club meets at LV every Friday at 930, but when I got there the barman didn't have a clue what I was on about.

Is there a comedy club, with local comics? I remember Pat O Shea used to run one years ago...

The comedy scene in Cork has dropped off big time. Rebels is closed due to smoke damage in the room they had upstairs, and as to when it will re-open. Conn O Sullivan should be kicking off the Comedy again soon, but again I have to check. City Limits is going well but hard enough for local lads to get in unless they have had some stage time, in fairness City Limits has to maintain a high standard.
Cork is in great need for another Comedy Club as local comedians need the stage time, plus Dublin comedians love to gig in Cork. I have looked at a few venues regarding starting another club but dont want to run it myself I would give all the support I could as I did in the Starting of Rebels Comedy Club and Ann marie had the place packed every week.

Last edited:
Not a fan of improv myself, and I used to be in an improv group!

Shame the CL Comedy Club don't have an amateur night, or something similar.

yeah I'm kinda the same about improv it's either excellent or shite, I do say to comedians who can't get gigs to try out open mic nights the audience is normally there for the music so it's a great tester for material, if you can win an audience over at an open mic night you know it will work with a comedy based audience. If it wasn't for open mic nights I'd never get to gig here in Cork, rest of the country nay bother but getting a gig in Cork is getting hard. All the more reason for a new club

yeah I'm kinda the same about improv it's either excellent or shite, I do say to comedians who can't get gigs to try out open mic nights the audience is normally there for the music so it's a great tester for material, if you can win an audience over at an open mic night you know it will work with a comedy based audience. If it wasn't for open mic nights I'd never get to gig here in Cork, rest of the country nay bother but getting a gig in Cork is getting hard. All the more reason for a new club

Have you tried to find people interested in setting something up? Other Cork comics?

Have you tried to find people interested in setting something up? Other Cork comics?

Not really I have told folks if they were willing to start one I would give what ever support they needed. I think I have done my share of designing posters, getting them and the flyers printed, handing out flyers, getting the gigs advertised, etc, etc, etc. Most of the current comedians are just happy to sit back and wait to see if anyone else will start a club. The biggest advantage of running your own club is more regular gigs for yourself and plenty of offers to do gigs in other clubs in exchange for them doing a gig in your club.
But as I said if anyone was interested I would do my share to get it up and running :)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Seeger Sessions Revival (Bruce Springsteen)
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

17th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Not How When!

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼