• Ballinascarthy

• Passage

• Ballymartle

• Clonakilty

• Banteer

• Harbour Rovers

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have been thinking Ballinora should be coming with years Pat. Seem to have had very strong underage teams the last 8 or 9 years. Is there a big drop off in players over there ? I would agree with you that they should be county contenders in the next number of years but would worry about there transition from underage to adult levels in both codes.

Saw the Grenagh result and looks like they won't be bothering ye and the result against Cloghduv was only a flash in a pan because lads were telling me that Kilmichael were missing about 4 starters and PK only came on with 10 to go. Iniscarra are normally fairly strong at this grade so will probably put the biggest challenge one would imagine.

I think there have been decent teams, especially compared to before and we generally get a few players off each of them, but I think we’re starting to see more and more talented batches consistently come through and will continue to do so over the next few years hopefully, skill and conditioning wise the younger lads are getting better by the year it seems.

Definitely left a few Muskerry titles behind us in recent years since Cloughduv went up but I think we’re on the right track. Like as recently as 2010 we were amalgamating with Dripsey just to field a 13 aside minor team, the years after that there was improvements for sure on a mid Cork level, and now we’re seeing underage teams competing in the higher grades with a bit more regularity. A fair few lads still 21 and under have claimed places on both football and hurling sides so far, it’s obviously hard to tell how everyone will pan out, but they’re on the right track and seems to be going better by the year, just hard to predict when or if we’ll see the full fruits of that.

The numbers around the place have jumped up massively too and the club has improved across the board hugely. I’ve seen underage teams beat the likes of the Glen and the Rockies this year, even 10 years ago a Ballinora underage team playing those types of sides would have been a very rare occurrence. We’re seeing both men and women playing intercounty for Cork across various levels with more consistency and it’s certainly showing at times in the club game. I think a mid Cork hurling title and avoiding relegation to Premier Junior in the football would be a good solid year.

I’d fancy us to have enough for Grenagh, hard to know where Inniscarra are at after losing to Blarney, Blarney might be the dark horses if they get over Donoughmore tomorrow with their seniors done too. I’d be hoping for another mid Cork title and then have a good crack at someone in the county stage for a change.

I think there have been decent teams, especially compared to before and we generally get a few players off each of them, but I think we’re starting to see more and more talented batches consistently come through and will continue to do so over the next few years hopefully, skill and conditioning wise the younger lads are getting better by the year it seems.

Definitely left a few Muskerry titles behind us in recent years since Cloughduv went up but I think we’re on the right track. Like as recently as 2010 we were amalgamating with Dripsey just to field a 13 aside minor team, the years after that there was improvements for sure on a mid Cork level, and now we’re seeing underage teams competing in the higher grades with a bit more regularity. A fair few lads still 21 and under have claimed places on both football and hurling sides so far, it’s obviously hard to tell how everyone will pan out, but they’re on the right track and seems to be going better by the year, just hard to predict when or if we’ll see the full fruits of that.

The numbers around the place have jumped up massively too and the club has improved across the board hugely. I’ve seen underage teams beat the likes of the Glen and the Rockies this year, even 10 years ago a Ballinora underage team playing those types of sides would have been a very rare occurrence. We’re seeing both men and women playing intercounty for Cork across various levels with more consistency and it’s certainly showing at times in the club game. I think a mid Cork hurling title and avoiding relegation to Premier Junior in the football would be a good solid year.

I’d fancy us to have enough for Grenagh, hard to know where Inniscarra are at after losing to Blarney, Blarney might be the dark horses if they get over Donoughmore tomorrow with their seniors done too. I’d be hoping for another mid Cork title and then have a good crack at someone in the county stage for a change.
Good post and to be fair to ye can't be easy for Ballinora with a pile of competing sports at a high level on yer door steps with being on the edge of the city. I remember years ago Lougheed a serious Avondale soccer player and Cronin Healy who must be up there with the all time Cork Con greats lining out for the the Muskerry senior Footballers under the Ballinora banner also ye are bounding Ballincollig Ballinhassig and Bishopstown which can't be easy.

Some great sportsmen's have also came from the parish Mick Barry the Bowler and the cork city soccer player name eludes me now.

Think Ballinora if they can keep the underage players coming through which seems to be a fierce vibrant club at underage can challenge at higher levels but has its challenges.

The location was probably a hindrance once upon a time alright, even moving beyond Ballincollig/Ballinhassig/Bishopstown you could be within 10/15 minutes of Eire Og, the Barrs and Nemo and would get the odd person playing with those too, but now it's part of the reason the club is improving I think, the whole area has just rocketed up population wise given the location, since around the mid 2000's I'd say, the size of the school jumped massively and you're kind of now starting to see shoots of that at junior level, at some age groups there has even been enough players for 2 teams recently which is surreal, I can still remember a time when only 12 lads showed up for a minor championship game with Grenagh.

Some very good players there alright, Lougheed was with Cobh Ramblers too at one stage, Healy was a right handful when it came to football but obviously rugby was his game understandably. Alan Bennett was the soccer player you're thinking of, made a decent career out of soccer, was with the likes of Brentford and Cheltenham too. All those lads were in and around the same age, part of a very good minor group who picked up from the county winning Juniors in 97 and then kept the club as a competitive Premier Intermediate side for a good while, just never manged to get over Carbery Rangers. Mick Barry is of course a legend in his own right!

The underage struggled after that group I feel and never managed to replace them properly at the time, hurling was in an even poorer state, think we scored 3 points against Dripsey in the championship the year they went up which sums it up pretty well where it was at. Thing's started to turn a bit after that, the club seemed to get more serious both on and off pitch, improved the grounds and did a lot more on that regard and bringing people into the club and with more numbers in the area things gradually started to be more promising, managed to be competitive with Cloughduv and even beat them the odd time, and now we're seeing young lads in and around Cork panels in both codes. Long way to go and a lot of work to do still but I'd fairly optimistic about the state of the club going forward.

Last results in mid Cork group stage:

Grenagh 0-16 Kilmichael 1-12
Blarney 3-14 Donoughmore 1-9

Muskerry knockout draw:

Grenagh v Eire Og/Blarney
Ballinora v Inniscarra/Kilmichael

avondhu q/f
clyda rovers v liscarroll/churchtown
shanballymore v dromina
killshannig v harbour rovers
killavullen v ballyhooley
couple tasty games coming up with i think harbour rovers as favourites after a big win over shanballymore with clyda rovers not far behind

Results from Avondhu:

Killavullen 2-27 Castletownroche 1-11
Harbour Rovers 3-22 Shanballymore 0-13
Kilshannig 3-18 Buttevant 3-15
Araglen 3-13 Fermoy 3-11

You've got to feel for Castletownroche. A proud hurling village with great history. I think they have very little numbers and not many underage players coming up. While a bitter pill to swallow, it might be time for them to amalgamate with another club. Neighbours Doneraile are a club in serious decline and struggling big time to survive. Maybe it would be good for both clubs to amalgamate. It worked well for Liscarroll and Churchtown who now have a new lease of life.

Shanballymore are struggling too but might have enough to survive on their own.

Araglen recorded their first win at Junior A level today. They have a nice few young fellas coming through so might improve in the coming years.

Overall I think they need to split Avondhu into 2 competitions. I'd keep Harbour Rovers, Clyda Rovers, LC Gaels, Charleville, Kilshannig, Ballyhooly, Killavullen and Dromina would make up your 8 Junior A teams.

Then I would bring back the O' Leary Cup and call it Junior A2 and have Castletownroche/Doneraile, Shanballymore, Araglen, Fermoy, Buttevant, Ballyclough, Ballyhea, Newtownshandrum, Kilworth etc.

The rest of the teams play in Junior B2 or Junior C. And have proper relegation and promotion every season. Just a thought I've had.

Results from Avondhu:

Killavullen 2-27 Castletownroche 1-11
Harbour Rovers 3-22 Shanballymore 0-13
Kilshannig 3-18 Buttevant 3-15
Araglen 3-13 Fermoy 3-11

You've got to feel for Castletownroche. A proud hurling village with great history. I think they have very little numbers and not many underage players coming up. While a bitter pill to swallow, it might be time for them to amalgamate with another club. Neighbours Doneraile are a club in serious decline and struggling big time to survive. Maybe it would be good for both clubs to amalgamate. It worked well for Liscarroll and Churchtown who now have a new lease of life.

Shanballymore are struggling too but might have enough to survive on their own.

Araglen recorded their first win at Junior A level today. They have a nice few young fellas coming through so might improve in the coming years.

Overall I think they need to split Avondhu into 2 competitions. I'd keep Harbour Rovers, Clyda Rovers, LC Gaels, Charleville, Kilshannig, Ballyhooly, Killavullen and Dromina would make up your 8 Junior A teams.

Then I would bring back the O' Leary Cup and call it Junior A2 and have Castletownroche/Doneraile, Shanballymore, Araglen, Fermoy, Buttevant, Ballyclough, Ballyhea, Newtownshandrum, Kilworth etc.

The rest of the teams play in Junior B2 or Junior C. And have proper relegation and promotion every season. Just a thought I've had.
Shanballymore played harbour rovers they had at a guess here 8 to 9 players in their 40's correct me by all means if I am wrong . ..
The u20s and minors etc play with harbour rovers at juvenile level too ... Just a thought Surely Castletownroche and shanballymore would be a better fit for both clubs

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

11th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼