Irish Rail

is this a joke.?
Trains running every 6 minutes as fas as Glaunthaune. More frequent that the bus to Bishopstown which has 2 universities and a major hospital on its line.
My understanding of that is it’s the capacity of the line. With two park and rides on the line it’s feasible for a very regular service. Little Island and Glounthaune currently have trains in both directions every 15 minutes.

Funding won’t be an issue. With climate change targets you’re going to see big investment in public transport in Cork and Dublin and Limerick also. It’s not the scale of Dublin metro so I’d be optimistic this will be done in the next decade.

I hope you're right CC - but there have been so many false dawns on this before it's hard not to be cynical that it's just another pre-election promise.

I see you're optimistic it'll be done in the next decade - so you're not taken in by the "the work will be completed by 2030" either.

Fingers crossed this gets done properly and promptly. Cork has been kept waiting for far too long for something that should be a no-brainer. The main infrastructure is there already and had been for decades. Reopening stations shouldn't have taken decades to complete, especially given that DART has been on the go for over 40 years, and LUAS for 20.

I hope you're right CC - but there have been so many false dawns on this before it's hard not to be cynical that it's just another pre-election promise.

I see you're optimistic it'll be done in the next decade - so you're not taken in by the "the work will be completed by 2030" either.

Fingers crossed this gets done properly and promptly. Cork has been kept waiting for far too long for something that should be a no-brainer. The main infrastructure is there already and had been for decades. Reopening stations shouldn't have taken decades to complete, especially given that DART has been on the go for over 40 years, and LUAS for 20.
Exactly. As the main infrastructure is there this is an easy win for the government parties especially the Greens. They’ll drive on now I think. I would expect once this is done that driving into the city centre will be discouraged if not made prohibitive.

There is a massive thing here that is kind of being disregarded, it is essential to the entire thing and if not identified soon could drag it out for years.
"Contracts have also been awarded by Iarnród Éireann for the appointment of consultants for the electrification of the Cork commuter rail network and for the provision of a new maintenance depot for an electrified fleet of up to 150 carriages."

They have no idea of the location of the maintenance and storage depot for 150 carriages.

I suppose they will all be electrically powered, may have onboard batteries and therefore need to be charged etc.

Seems to be a bit premature in announcing this, as was mentioned elections are on the way so the dumb voters will be won over no doubt.

I also noticed mention of the engineering challenges of the Cork Luas, that corner on the junction of Grand Parade to/ from Washington St, seems to be a huge issue for it.

Bus Connects, yet another load of waffle.

I've noticed they have a couple of different new trains on the Mton route now. One of them looks like a bullet train, while the other is done up in the classic Iarnród Eireann black and orange paint.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cork Pride: Party At The Port
Kennedy Quay, Cork City

4th Aug 2024 @ 3:00 pm
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼