Irish President

It seems on this forum and Ireland in general, that it is not possible to criticise the Irish president or the office of the Irish presidency.
I am just checking if it is allowed before I let rip.
Permission would be appreciated.

The office is supposed to be above politics, although I would agree that the current incumbent hasn't always managed that and leaves herself open to some criticism.

ok, that's a start ... calling the president names. "Incumbent" , I like it. I have others too .
But apart from the fact that you think she may not have followed the letter of the constitution, nobody voted for her for her second term! Is this a republic or isn't it ?

The office is supposed to be above politics, although I would agree that the current incumbent hasn't always managed that and leaves herself open to some criticism.

Compared to Mary "Thunderbirds are go" Robinson, Mary McAleese is a saint in this regard.

The office of Uachtarán na h-Éireann should be above reproach. It got sullied in my opinion when one of the former Presidents refused to dissolve the Dáil on request, blatantly playing party politics, when she was lucky to even be elected.

As I said in the David Norris for President thread, the office is ceremonial and representative and needs someone who is prepared to accept that as opposed to someone who thinks they will be Ireland's Barack Obama.

The Oireachtas voted for her second term.

Three Presidents weren't elected by the people for their first term, never mind their second!

Considering it's a ceremonial position, I don't have a huge problem with the means of selecting a President.

Ceremonial ? Ha!
So, it's a monarchy really.
I don't want my taxes being wasted on a ceremonial office. Let her/him work for the money being spent. Where is the return on invesment ? The president is a waster of our money.

And Seanad Eireann. Normal republics have a parliament, a senate and a presidency which actually DO something. What a useless republic we live in.

A ceremonial president isn't that uncommon.

The alternative is to give the President executive or legislative power.

But do you really want to give all that power to one person?

There is some point in having somebody who can represent the state without being politically divisive.

The Seanad needs massive reform.

Agreed. The Seanad needs reform not abolishment. The office of President needs to be respected for what it is, either that or change the constitution to confer additional responsibilities or powers or maybe just define the role.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Che-k

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼