Interesting article about concussion in rugby

That was laughable. Did the guy wobble? Yes. Do the regulations say that that's an example of suspected concussion? Yes. What is the rule regarding suspected concussion? The player leaves the pitch and does not return. This is simple. But no, Matt is uncomfortable about answering these simple questions because he's not a doctor.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ysed-life-opponent-flattened-like-frog-court/ Bit of a change of direction for this thread but interesting to see the outcome and the precedent it would send Amateur women's player is suing an opponent left her paralysed from the waist down following a tackle, having previously claimed mid game she was "going to break her".

Sad case, but from the description, it sounds like simply an unfortunate tackle injury. Clumsy and shit, with an enormous size difference but little more.

People say shit like "I'm going to destroy that fucker" all the time on the rugby pitch. Almost every single hooker I've ever played with has been a frothing psychopath on the pitch. Sometimes they're even decent human beings off the pitch. It doesn't mean they actually go out and actively try to paralyse/kill people.

Rugby is a violent game, this sort of thing will happen occasionally. It's sad and it needs to be prevented as much as possible but it will happen.

Interesting case. Hard to form a view without the footage.

In principle I'm not against the ability to take legal action if a tackle is excessively dangerous and has life-changing consequences, but there's a sliding scale. Other than cases at the extreme end it can become a minefield litigating highly aggressive tackles - especially at the amateur level (lower level of precision/technique and less likely to have good quality footage).

1675850928471.png
Feels like they're taking a leaf from Roy's book

1675850947401.png

Interesting case. Hard to form a view without the footage.

In principle I'm not against the ability to take legal action if a tackle is excessively dangerous and has life-changing consequences, but there's a sliding scale. Other than cases at the extreme end it can become a minefield litigating highly aggressive tackles - especially at the amateur level (lower level of precision/technique and less likely to have good quality footage).

View attachment 18777
Feels like they're taking a leaf from Roy's book

View attachment 18778
This to me is the critical section:
Torygraph said:
Mrs Czernuszka, who is 5ft 3, was in a “crouched position” waiting to receive the ball from her side when the other woman put in her tackle, he said.

Ms King took hold of her thigh and allegedly "exerted her full weight downwards on to the head and back of the claimant in the manner of a ‘belly flop’ such that her full weight pressed down heavily on the claimant’s spine”.
Basically, tackling a much smaller, much lighter player who was already crouched and bent over, prone.

It tallies up with the photos, which look weird when you look at them first. It looks to me like a really shit, clumsy tackle.

67428845-11723931-image-a-1_1675797668590.jpg

TELEMMGLPICT000324577638_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqU0jHSj23-rqgtcFc9pglTnNCDKBtrBjHJg9gI0414_A.jpeg

I've done damage to other players in the past through tackles, knocked out a few teeth, broken a couple of arms and probably other damage but not with malice, usually just with force and occasionally poor technique. Could definitely see myself having done this tackle by mistake.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Camilla Griehsel's Mamasongue
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

12th May 2024 @ 5:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼