Interesting article about concussion in rugby

As long as your opponent is conscious enough to have a beer afterwards then that’s what it’s all about.

As long as your opponent is conscious enough to have a beer afterwards then that’s what it’s all about.
Jesus.

My world is falling apart: Ex-Wales captain Jones diagnosed with dementia​

Former Wales captain Ryan Jones has revealed his fears for the future after being diagnosed with early-onset dementia aged 41.

“I am really scared because I’ve got three children and three step-children and I want to be a fantastic dad.

“I lived 15 years of my life like a superhero and I’m not. I don’t know what the future holds.

“I am a product of an environment that is all about process and human performance. I’m not able to perform like I could, and I just want to lead a happy, healthy, normal life.

“I feel that’s been taken away and there’s nothing I can do.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/my-w...-wales-captain-jones-diagnosed-with-dementia/

Last edited:
This is more recent m8.

International rugby union players face higher risk of dementia​

Men who played rugby union for Scotland are much more likely to develop dementia, Parkinson’s disease and motor neurone disease than the rest of the population.

Scotland men's rugby team

Scottish study links rugby to increased risk of MND and dementia​

International rugby union players are more than twice as likely to develop dementia and 15 times more likely to be diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND), according to new research on Scottish players.​

William Stewart at the University of Glasgow in the UK and his colleagues analysed the medical histories and death certificates of 412 male Scottish rugby internationals and found that men who played rugby union at international level are more than twice as likely to develop dementia and 15 times more likely to be diagnosed with MND then the general population.

Consultant neuropathologist Prof Willie Stewart, who led the research, said it raised immediate questions for rugby authorities to mitigate the risks. The risks, compared to the general population varied by condition, with neurodenerative illnesses double, cases of MND rising fifteenfold, and Parkinson's tripling.

“I am genuinely concerned about what is happening in the modern game, and that if, in 20 years’ time, we repeat this study we would see something even more concerning” Prof Stewart said.
“Rugby has talked a lot and done a lot about head injury management and whether it can reduce head injury during (training). Those conversations have gone on a while and the pace of progress is pretty slow.
“This should be a stimulus to them to pick up their heels to make some pretty dramatic changes as quickly as possible to try and reduce risk.

Yeah, scary stuff.

The overall population risk of Motor Neuron Disease is 1 in 300

According to this study, the risk for pro rugby players is 1 in 20 as a result of playing. And that's with it heavily biased towards the amateur era.

There's 23 players in a matchday squad. If that result is robust, it makes it highly likely that, if you're watching a professional match at the weekend, 2 of the players you're watching on the field will have Motor Neuron Disease at some point in their life, as a result of playing rugby.
Indeed it is.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Funny Fridays Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Big Swinin' Mikeys

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼