Interesting article about concussion in rugby

They were on about this on the radio earlier.
Some shocking stats on Alzheimer’s, MND and Parkinson’s for ex-rugby players.

While the adult game is among the most popular sports in the country they’re getting a pushback from parents sending their kids to rugby training.

Future of the game isn’t looking too good unless major rule changes are implemented. For a whole generation of ex-pros it’ll be too late. Poor fuckers.

While the adult game is among the most popular sports in the country they’re getting a pushback from parents sending their kids to rugby training.

Future of the game isn’t looking too good unless major rule changes are implemented. For a whole generation of ex-pros it’ll be too late. Poor fuckers.
Yeah, scary stuff.

The overall population risk of Motor Neuron Disease is 1 in 300

According to this study, the risk for pro rugby players is 1 in 20 as a result of playing. And that's with it heavily biased towards the amateur era.

There's 23 players in a matchday squad. If that result is robust, it makes it highly likely that, if you're watching a professional match at the weekend, 2 of the players you're watching on the field will have Motor Neuron Disease at some point in their life, as a result of playing rugby.

Yep. The players are bigger, stronger and faster now than ever.

Saw a few teenagers in the gym in Brookfield from Pres the other week. Huge guys. Horsing into the protein/creatine shakes as well.

They’re becoming unnaturally big. The hits are like car crashes.

All for the entertainment of the masses I guess.

Yep. The players are bigger, stronger and faster now than ever.

Saw a few teenagers in the gym in Brookfield from Pres the other week. Huge guys. Horsing into the protein/creatine shakes as well.

They’re becoming unnaturally big. The hits are like car crashes.

All for the entertainment of the masses I guess.

Checking out young lads in the gym?

index.php

I 100% get this. I played rugby for years - had some broken bones but no head injuries - but wouldn't actively nudge my kids towards playing it. If they were super keen to play I'd probably grudgingly get them started with it, but with some reservations.

I'd imagine there's plenty in the same boat.

I 100% get this. I played rugby for years - had some broken bones but no head injuries - but wouldn't actively nudge my kids towards playing it. If they were super keen to play I'd probably grudgingly get them started with it, but with some reservations.

I'd imagine there's plenty in the same boat.
Absolutely.

And I see few ways of solving it. It's an impact sport, if you're slamming 120kg players into each other, their brains are going to bounce around and head hits will happen, no matter how careful you're being.

I've had enough head knocks (don't think I've ever been badly concussed though) that I'm properly worried by this.

The reports are going to get a lot worse before they get any better, HIA protocols only started in 2012 and they weren't properly rolled out until a few years afterwards. I suspect those pros who played between 2000 - 2015 are likely to be the worst affected.

As an example of the culture, here's some insight from David Corkery:
By the time I retired, my body was a car crash. I didn’t hold back. I played with broken fingers, trained with broken ribs. I took injections when my shoulders were killing me. You’d have understood all that if it was for a Five Nations game but I’d do it just to go training. By the end of my career, I was in bits.”

From a distance, it seems illogical, silly even. Yet we don’t know how it felt to enjoy and endure those spikes of adrenaline, what it meant to pull on that green shirt and represent your country. Sport is so trivial and yet it can mean so much.

“I look back and know that certain players had more skill in their baby toe than I had but they did not put in the same effort. I loved the game that much. The game left me battered. I ruptured both Achilles, had five operations on my left knee, broke most of my fingers, broke my forearm, had shoulders dislocated, suffered multiple concussions with no lay-off time.”

They will be going a lot more no contact going forward.

It's inevitable.
How will rucks work? And tackling?

It has to be acknowledged that there have been some really positive changes, the hit on the scum is gone, impacts to the head in tackles are getting increasingly rare, thundering in from 20 metres out to smash a vulnerable player with your shoulder*, stamping, punch ups and dragging down in the lineouts are all previously common practices that have been massively reduced.

But without changing the fundamental nature of the game, really hard to see some aspects being reformed without making it a very, very different sport

*this exact type of hit ended my rugby career 5 years ago

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Blues Jam (Players Welcome)

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼