Immigration Thread

I spent the night up the the country last night in a small enough town, and got chatting to the barman and some locals.

I was staying in an Air BnB because there is nowhere else to stay, but I noticed a small hotel on the square. It has only 12 rooms, and has been closed for 2 years to house Ukranians.

They were saying that the loss of these 12 rooms has destroyed the town. No more weddings, no more hen parties, and if it wasn't for the one available property on Air BnB they wouldn't get casual visitors like me either.

Just shows how warped the policy is. By all means house Ukranians in hotels, but don't sacrifice entire towns for the sake of 12 rooms. If a town has two hotels, use one of them, and leave the other as an important resource particularly for smaller regional towns that are reliant on visitors.

I spent the night up the the country last night in a small enough town, and got chatting to the barman and some locals.

I was staying in an Air BnB because there is nowhere else to stay, but I noticed a small hotel on the square. It has only 12 rooms, and has been closed for 2 years to house Ukranians.

They were saying that the loss of these 12 rooms has destroyed the town. No more weddings, no more hen parties, and if it wasn't for the one available property on Air BnB they wouldn't get casual visitors like me either.

Just shows how warped the policy is. By all means house Ukranians in hotels, but don't sacrifice entire towns for the sake of 12 rooms. If a town has two hotels, use one of them, and leave the other as an important resource particularly for smaller regional towns that are reliant on visitors.

Excellent post.

Roderic O'Gorman was given the children (!) and Integration post as a sop to the Greens for going into coalition.

They were as usual pursuing an extreme left agenda of ending direct provision. The resulting mess of 'integration' has caused hassle all over the country.

The moronic policy of shutting the only hotels in small towns around the country to home refugees was batshit crazy, with no concern or thinking as to the effect it would have on communities.

You can thank the Green party the next time you're reading headlines about unrest in some rural town as theyve shut the hotel.

Last edited:

The minute the Government started dishing out this kind of dosh this was always going to happen in the small and medium sized towns

Spot on but the hotel owner has accepted the the governments money and guaranteed income for a packed out hotel which initially is for three years but will probably be indefinitely. Meanwhile there are Irish people sleeping on the streets in the snow

The minute the Government started dishing out this kind of dosh this was always going to happen in the small and medium sized towns

Besides the loss of an amenity to the local community , the scandal is the amount of public money being squandered renting these places.

I read that the Ashbourne house hotel in Glounthuane has been let at a cost of over a million a year for 20 years. Ffs how many purpose built facilities could the government have built for the same price.

Its bonkers.

Similar arrangement made for the Quality hotel Redbarn in Youghal.

I mean Jesus, buy the place outright instead of astronomical rental packages.

Its costing the taxpayer a sizable fortune annually. Whos signing off these crazy deals?

Spot on but the hotel owner has accepted the the governments money and guaranteed income for a packed out hotel which initially is for three years but will probably be indefinitely. Meanwhile there are Irish people sleeping on the streets in the snow

Ah yeah I totally get that, impossible to blame the hotel owner, its the government who should be thinking twice about the type of properties they're looking to go into business with. They've just adopted a one size fits all policy, and treat a town with 12 hotel rooms the same as somewhere like Drogheda.

I'd say there are a few hotel owners in Ireland who wouldn't be too upset to see this war ramble on as long as possible. "Gwan PutinY ked", they can be heard saying.

On top of having guaranteed occupancy 365 nights of the year, surely staff and produce costs are way down. Government are probably paying for the food served in a hotel, and how many staff do you need when people are living in the hotel. It's not like rooms are being made up and restocked with little bottles of shampoo put into the toilets along with fresh towels.

I wonder how often are rooms serviced in these places.

Ah yeah I totally get that, impossible to blame the hotel owner, its the government who should be thinking twice about the type of properties they're looking to go into business with. They've just adopted a one size fits all policy, and treat a town with 12 hotel rooms the same as somewhere like Drogheda.

I'd say there are a few hotel owners in Ireland who wouldn't be too upset to see this war ramble on as long as possible. "Gwan PutinY ked", they can be heard saying.

On top of having guaranteed occupancy 365 nights of the year, surely staff and produce costs are way down. Government are probably paying for the food served in a hotel, and how many staff do you need when people are living in the hotel. It's not like rooms are being made up and restocked with little bottles of shampoo put into the toilets along with fresh towels.

I wonder how often are rooms serviced in these places.
It's basic supplies. I know of a fella whose brother-in-law owns a hotel in Cork (county) and says that he actually cut back on the food supplies as there was massive waste. He's cleaning up by all accounts and has forfeited his tourist trade in lieu of keeping the full house of immigrants.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Beth Orton
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

8th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼