Immigration Thread

It's basic supplies. I know of a fella whose brother-in-law owns a hotel in Cork (county) and says that he actually cut back on the food supplies as there was massive waste. He's cleaning up by all accounts and has forfeited his tourist trade in lieu of keeping the full house of immigrants.

It must just be very handy in general. You've nobody calling reception at 3am looking for pints, and nobody complaining about noise etc.

Obviously they lose bar and food sales (although I've seen a few places keep that side of the business open to the public when when the hotel is full of Ukranians).

But overall it must be a very sweet deal. For a struggling regional hotel which probably had more empty nights than full nights pre-2020, Russia invading Ukraine was a godsend.

I spent the night up the the country last night in a small enough town, and got chatting to the barman and some locals.

I was staying in an Air BnB because there is nowhere else to stay, but I noticed a small hotel on the square. It has only 12 rooms, and has been closed for 2 years to house Ukranians.

They were saying that the loss of these 12 rooms has destroyed the town. No more weddings, no more hen parties, and if it wasn't for the one available property on Air BnB they wouldn't get casual visitors like me either.

Just shows how warped the policy is. By all means house Ukranians in hotels, but don't sacrifice entire towns for the sake of 12 rooms. If a town has two hotels, use one of them, and leave the other as an important resource particularly for smaller regional towns that are reliant on visitors.
I think that's for the hotel owner to answer for the government is right to use all available rooms offered imo, given the severe need

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Song Of Granite (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8:05pm

More events ▼