Favourite sporting moments

Was just thinking about this earlier. Now the point of this is not to refer to moments involving teams we support such as in my case Man Utd or Cork GAA but just a moment or a performance of outstanding genius. If it can be kept WUM free it'd be great also but somehow I dont see that happening.

Anyway the one performance I come back to always as a case of 'I remember that as if it was yesterday' was Michael Johnson smashing the 200m world record in Atlanta during the '96 Olympics. I stayed up til half 2 in the morning to see that. At the time it was billed at Johnson Vs Fredricks seeing as Frankie had beaten him in the 200m in Oslo during the Golden League events.

The previous world record was held by Johnson at 19.66 seconds which he set during the American trials. In the Olympic Final, Fredricks ran 19.68 seconds, the 3rd fastest time ever back then. Johnson as we know ran 19.32. It was an awesome performance.

I'll post the youtube link later.

Some trips down memory lane for me include

My first memory of being at a big Cork Hurling game in Semple Stadium in 1984 for the Centenaray final

Brazil v Italy and France v Germany epic footy from 82 World Cup
Maradonna 1986
France 1998 as a two fingers to the racist cunts trying to gain a foothold in the country
Romario 1994 and Ronaldo 2002
also France 84 and Holland (and Ireland) 88 in the Euros

Cork City v Bayern Munich

Eamon Coughlan World Championship Gold

Mike Tyson the early years especially the Spinx fight

Jimmy White nearly winning but blowing the World Championship

Seve winning the British Open for the last time

Ireland France 15-15 1983 Rugby
Kiernan drop goal to win triple crown don't care for Rugby too much but thats some skill to execute

Ben Johnson 1988 (before we knew bout the drugs)

Barca winning back the title with Ronaldinho and retaining it

Was just thinking about this earlier. Now the point of this is not to refer to moments involving teams we support such as in my case Man Utd or Cork GAA but just a moment or a performance of outstanding genius. If it can be kept WUM free it'd be great also but somehow I dont see that happening.

Anyway the one performance I come back to always as a case of 'I remember that as if it was yesterday' was Michael Johnson smashing the 200m world record in Atlanta during the '96 Olympics. I stayed up til half 2 in the morning to see that. At the time it was billed at Johnson Vs Fredricks seeing as Frankie had beaten him in the 200m in Oslo during the Golden League events.

The previous world record was held by Johnson at 19.66 seconds which he set during the American trials. In the Olympic Final, Fredricks ran 19.68 seconds, the 3rd fastest time ever back then. Johnson as we know ran 19.32. It was an awesome performance.

I'll post the youtube link later.

Definitely one of my favourites as well. For me that is still the greatest athletics performance ever.

I'd go for the final 40 seconds of the 1998 NBA Finals.

Michael Jordan wining his 6th title with two clutch shots and a steal from Malone. An unbelievable end to his Chicago career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f-fUuJ4aP4

watching Europe win the Ryder Cup at the belfry in 02..

BRITAIN_RYDER_CUP.jpg

Roche winning Tour and World champs, was present for latter and jumped barrier to congratulate him. Amazing. 1987 btw (cycling!!!!)

turners cross, many moons ago, B international Ireland V England, Eamonn Dunphy walks past us on his way to the press box, one of the lads say "go on ya legend" eamo turns round and says "ta" to which we all reply "NOT YOU YA LANGER" Dave Beasant was doin his warm ups behind him !!! Dunphy scuttled off down the line and Beasant laughed his arse off ,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..
More events ▼