Engine trouble!!

Alright biys!
I'm having trouble with my car lately... anyone have any idea whats wrong with it. I havent a clue!
Its a 00 Audi A3 5 dr 1.6L
Basically the problem is very intermittant and is composed of two main problems.
1. When i turn the key to start her up sometimes the engine won't engage, it makes the usual whining sound but the engine just doesn't kick in. After a few goes it always starts but i understand that this can be bad for the strater motor.
2. While driving, sometimes the throttle takes on a life of its own. I could be driving along and going from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gears and the throttle just gets stuck at about 3000 revs! I have to pull in to the hard shoulder straight away. When the car is stopped and in neutral and my feet are completely off the accelerator the engine is still roaring away at 3000 - 400 revs. and sometimes it keeps rising slowly.
Scary stuff eh! I've put her into a local garage and he found no fault but i'm bringing her back at the weekend. I'm just afraid he won't be able to duplicate the fault and therefore not be able to fix it.

Sorry for the long-winded post!
Any advice??
Munky

munkyhed said:
Alright biys!
I'm having trouble with my car lately... anyone have any idea whats wrong with it. I havent a clue!
Its a 00 Audi A3 5 dr 1.6L
Basically the problem is very intermittant and is composed of two main problems.
1. When i turn the key to start her up sometimes the engine won't engage, it makes the usual whining sound but the engine just doesn't kick in. After a few goes it always starts but i understand that this can be bad for the strater motor.
2. While driving, sometimes the throttle takes on a life of its own. I could be driving along and going from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gears and the throttle just gets stuck at about 3000 revs! I have to pull in to the hard shoulder straight away. When the car is stopped and in neutral and my feet are completely off the accelerator the engine is still roaring away at 3000 - 400 revs. and sometimes it keeps rising slowly.
Scary stuff eh! I've put her into a local garage and he found no fault but i'm bringing her back at the weekend. I'm just afraid he won't be able to duplicate the fault and therefore not be able to fix it.

Sorry for the long-winded post!
Any advice??
Munky
None at all but could be electrics. That's my only guess.

Thanks for the input man.. I've posted this on many forums and most of the feedback seems to be pointing towards a throttle related issue. Could just need a cleaning and recalibration or it may well be an electric problem. Either way, its turning out to be an expensive week.. horses and drink are already eating into my little budget. Feckin car!

ECU.
Airflow matter/sensor.
Fly-by-wire accelerator could be in trouble.
Automatic choke.
Fuel pump to say its not starting first go, and not giving sufficient fuel pressure when running, causing erratic revving. Saying that, I know fuck all about mechanics.

Problem should register on diagnostics though.
When they plug in their laptop, all faults should be displayed.

Tut...Typical German car.

firstly its german - german cars are good if they were made before 95 otherwise they are shit. thats whats wrong.

fuels pump or too lare gaps in the sparks plugs could be your starting problem

the throttle sticking open could be a fault with with either your automatic choke or could be with your trottle mechanism, eitehr way give the garage shit - it could be something as simple are a spring coming loose - could be problems with space it once your trottle is open its getting caught on something - however the fact that you say if increases sometimes suggest that its your trottle release losing pressure.

Ah lads its really a bit harsh to say that all German cars are shit after 1995. The amount of VWs on the road these days must be an indicator of quality. Saying that i'll probably looking to change cars once i get this problem fixed!!!!
My mechanic hooked the car up to the computer at the weekend and it showed up 3 errors. The problem is looking like a mixture of temperature sensor / electrical problem. Throttle and accelerator were cleaned and tested thouroughly to rule that out. He has the car for the week now so i'll let ye know the outcome next weekend. I can tell ye this much i feel it will cost a small fortune. I'm not a happy camper. Vorsprung Durch Technik my ring!

On another note i am driving a friends Suzuki swift for the week, she's a flyer!! She is also for sale. See relevant thread in this forum!!

munkyhed said:
Ah lads its really a bit harsh to say that all German cars are shit after 1995. The amount of VWs on the road these days must be an indicator of quality. Saying that i'll probably looking to change cars once i get this problem fixed!!!!
My mechanic hooked the car up to the computer at the weekend and it showed up 3 errors. The problem is looking like a mixture of temperature sensor / electrical problem. Throttle and accelerator were cleaned and tested thouroughly to rule that out. He has the car for the week now so i'll let ye know the outcome next weekend. I can tell ye this much i feel it will cost a small fortune. I'm not a happy camper. Vorsprung Durch Technik my ring!

On another note i am driving a friends Suzuki swift for the week, she's a flyer!! She is also for sale. See relevant thread in this forum!!

no its not harsh build quality and engineering quality have gone downhill since 95, VW's are too slow people by them cause most people don't have a clue about cars, then think heavy = safe which it doesn't, Mk3 golf barely have enough braking power to stop themselves at all - also the powersteering system can shut the car off - ie make the car stall on full lock. Mk4 have problems with brakes again and rickety suspension, and terribly underpowered engines.MK5 headgaskets. Jap cars are the way to go, sure the french manufacturers invent stuff but the japaneese make them work. I mean even BMW have a massive design flaw on M3 evos vanos units - a 90k+ car with a design flaw ffs.

PS despite the name Swifts have never been in anyway swift

munkyhed said:

Ha, what did i tell yeah!

Hang, shup biy. You dont know what you're on about.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼