Dr. Bertie Ahern to be readmitted to FF

Bertie Ahern was the architect of the Good Friday agreement which brought peace to this Island and is a template for disputes around the world.

He has contacts still in the North in both communities, why not use that to try to get some agreement over the protocol and other contentious issues.

He is now a man in his seventies, has probably no interest in public office anymore.
He certainly made mistakes but also did lots of good things for the country.

As a nation I think we totally lack appreciation for how well we live in this country.
He was a sly, criminal individual who learnt well from Haughey.
Dublin working class my arse.
As far as I'm concerned, he should disappear and fast.
He is an excellent communicator and deal maker and along with Tony Blair he is currently helping on the N.I. protocol and Brexit and highly respected by both traditions in the North as he has excellent capital built up since the peace process.

He could be on a beach somewhere sipping pina coladas, but he is willing to get his hands dirty again and knock those bigoted boneheads in the North and the Tories together to secure a deal.

This is all about the future and if it upsets a few morons obsessed with the past then so be it.

They are not and will never be the future.
"Sipping Pina Coladas"? With whom? The Kinihans?

Bertie Ahern was the architect of the Good Friday agreement which brought peace to this Island and is a template for disputes around the world.

He has contacts still in the North in both communities, why not use that to try to get some agreement over the protocol and other contentious issues.

He is now a man in his seventies, has probably no interest in public office anymore.
He certainly made mistakes but also did lots of good things for the country.

As a nation I think we totally lack appreciation for how well we live in this country.
He is an excellent communicator and deal maker and along with Tony Blair he is currently helping on the N.I. protocol and Brexit and highly respected by both traditions in the North as he has excellent capital built up since the peace process.

He could be on a beach somewhere sipping pina coladas, but he is willing to get his hands dirty again and knock those bigoted boneheads in the North and the Tories together to secure a deal.

This is all about the future and if it upsets a few morons obsessed with the past then so be it.

😂😂😂

He was a sly, criminal individual who learnt well from Haughey.
Dublin working class my arse.
As far as I'm concerned, he should disappear and fast.

"Sipping Pina Coladas"? With whom? The Kinihans?
He would do a deal with the Kinihans with them getting off Scot free if they handed over some of their wealth. Anything for the kudos .
And clock up buckets of expenses in the shady talks.

Bertie, the man who built the foundation whic h has led to the destruction of entire future generations.He laid the blocks for our current health care, housing , cost of living situations ,but sur he's one of our own.
Yeah himself and Sir Tony "weapons of mass destruction " were a fine pair indeed.

irish-prime-minister-taoiseach-bertie-ahern-laughs-at-spotting-one-of-his-election-posters-with-an-arsenal-football-club-top-in-letterkenny-county-donegal-republic-of-ireland-may-9-2002-ahern-is-canvassing-for-his-fianna-fail-party-ahead-of-the-irish-general-election-on-may-17-2002-reuterspaul-mcerlane-pmnmb-2D4EYFR.jpg

A war criminal and a fraudster :D

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I don't think Bertie deserves all the hate he gets. Brian Cowen as finance minister had pretty much a free hand in the years leading up to the crash and was much more culpable.

Bertie also set up FAS in the eighties which helped a lot of people and the economy at large.

He knew how to get things done, which a lot of politicians nowadays seem to have difficulty with.

And sure he was taking dodgy money in the eighties but he wasn't buying racehorses or islands with it, I'd suspect most of it went into funding his political machine.

Having said that, I wouldn't really like to see him as president, as I reckon it's more about an ego-trip gig for him and a shot at redemption rather than serving the country.

He should not be allowed rejoin Fianna Fail.

He left office in disgrace. There is no place for him in public life.

His brand is toxic. Forever synonymous with backhanders and corruption.

When every economist was telling us the economy was overheating and we needed to decrease spending and availability of credit he told them to go hang themselves for 'talking down the economy'.

His governments reckless policies put us into a dark economic hole that every man, woman and child in the country is still paying for.

It was a schocking error of judgement from Martin to even entertain the prospect of him rejoining Fianna Fail.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

23rd Jun 2024 @ 5:30 pm
More info..

The Spare Parts

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:30pm

More events ▼