Cyclists

The bollards opposite the petrol station by Dunnes Ballyvolane are absolutely filthy to the extent that they are practically invisible at night time. No point in putting in infrastructure and then not maintaining it.
yes , so true.. i suspect alot of the cycle infrastructure is just so it can be said "look how green we are and amount of cycle lanes provided..

yes , so true.. i suspect alot of the cycle infrastructure is just so it can be said "look how green we are and amount of cycle lanes provided..
On Southern Road cycle infrastructure you can see that every few weeks another piece of it gets damaged….the arrow at the start was first to go, and I think the two subsequent bollards were blown out of it as a result of lack of visibility.

Honestly I think many of the cycle lanes installed are hazards to both cyclists and motorists alike. Random breaks in the path are particular danger zones. I was blown off my bike a number of years ago passing Boston Scientific on the Model Farm Road where the cycle lane suddenly ends and you are corralled into traffic. I can see so many such set ups out there. A disaster! I felt safer when there was no cycle lane.

On Southern Road cycle infrastructure you can see that every few weeks another piece of it gets damaged….the arrow at the start was first to go, and I think the two subsequent bollards were blown out of it as a result of lack of visibility.

Honestly I think many of the cycle lanes installed are hazards to both cyclists and motorists alike. Random breaks in the path are particular danger zones. I was blown off my bike a number of years ago passing Boston Scientific on the Model Farm Road where the cycle lane suddenly ends and you are corralled into traffic. I can see so many such set ups out there. A disaster! I felt safer when there was no cycle lane.

When you say "suddenly ends" was there no yield sign at the end of that cycle lane?

And your "corralled" into traffic, that's life on a roadway where lots of people wants to travel at one time. You get pedestrian traffic, bicycle traffic, motor traffic C'est la vie.

When you say "suddenly ends" was there no yield sign at the end of that cycle lane?

And your "corralled" into traffic, that's life on a roadway where lots of people wants to travel at one time. You get pedestrian traffic, bicycle traffic, motor traffic C'est la vie.
He’s right, I live near the area and there’s no yield sign.
It’s quite a hectic junction and have to keep your wits about you.

F872A662-1DCE-4953-A5DB-F30AC44C56BE.jpeg

He’s right, I live near the area and there’s no yield sign.
It’s quite a hectic junction and have to keep your wits about you.

View attachment 18807
Shocking cycle lane. It's up on the footpath in places and hard to get into if you miss the enter point from the road.

Cycle lanes in Cork will never be mandatory if this is the quality of lanes in places. Just because a lane is present doesn't mean it's good/safe.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Danny Dineen

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼