Cyclists

It would be interesting to know what type of car was involved, SUVs present a much greater danger to pedestrians and cyclists than normal sized cars.

Agreed if they're going at the same speed.
1/2 M(V)squared though means that while the mass of the object (car v SUV v truck) is a big factor, the squaring of the velocity means the velocity is the very dominant factor.

Agreed if they're going at the same speed.
1/2 M(V)squared though means that while the mass of the object (car v SUV v truck) is a big factor, the squaring of the velocity means the velocity is the very dominant factor.

I've probably mentioned it before a cyclist clattered into my car at the cross at Summerhill Sth and Evergreen Road in the morning a few years ago.

I was turning right coming from town and she came through the cross without looking and hit my car despite me slamming on the brakes. I'd say if I'd been going at speed and not reacted she was dead. You'd still get a terrible fright but your immediate reaction is of course is the cyclist ok.

Had to replace the bonnet for about a grand. The cop on the scene said she was clearly in the wrong. She ended up in court ( which I thought was ridiculous tbh) and she got a 200 euro fine.

There's plenty of people on pushbikes who are a danger to themselves and others.

It would be interesting to know what type of car was involved, SUVs present a much greater danger to pedestrians and cyclists than normal sized cars.
Terminology is important so “SUVs” in the US (where the term originated) could be a Ford Expedition or a a Chevrolet Suburban, whereas here in Ireland, they could be one of those little Asian Shitbox High and Dry Tuckshops or Toy Yoda Raving Mad yokes.

And then people refer to research carried out in the US about SUVs to justify their anti motorist agenda.

I've probably mentioned it before a cyclist clattered into my car at the cross at Summerhill Sth and Evergreen Road in the morning a few years ago.

I was turning right coming from town and she came through the cross without looking and hit my car despite me slamming on the brakes. I'd say if I'd been going at speed and not reacted she was dead. You'd still get a terrible fright but your immediate reaction is of course is the cyclist ok.

Had to replace the bonnet for about a grand. The cop on the scene said she was clearly in the wrong. She ended up in court ( which I thought was ridiculous tbh) and she got a 200 euro fine.

There's plenty of people on pushbikes who are a danger to themselves and others.
Be honest, you'd prefer if there were no cyclists on the road.

If you cycle out in the middle of the road you're accused of holding up traffic, you stay on the left hand side of the traffic you're accused of impeding cars that are trying to turn left at a junction. Where are we meant to go?

🚴‍♂️ 🚴‍♀️ 🚴‍♀️

Terminology is important so “SUVs” in the US (where the term originated) could be a Ford Expedition or a a Chevrolet Suburban, whereas here in Ireland, they could be one of those little Asian Shitbox High and Dry Tuckshops or Toy Yoda Raving Mad yokes.

And then people refer to research carried out in the US about SUVs to justify their anti motorist agenda.
In this context I'm thinking of any car that has a higher front than the norm, whether it be a Hyundai Tucson or Toyota Rav 4, or similar.

If you cycle out in the middle of the road you're accused of holding up traffic, you stay on the left hand side of the traffic you're accused of impeding cars that are trying to turn left at a junction. Where are we meant to go?

🚴‍♂️ 🚴‍♀️ 🚴‍♀️

I cycle myself m8.

I'm just pointing out that it's not simply a case of motorists being a danger to cyclists.

If we all obey the rules of the road wouldn't it make for a far more pleasant experience, irrespective of your mode of transport.

🚴‍♂️ 🚴‍♀️ 🚴‍♀️

You've just made that up haven't you?

I have never in my life heard anyone complain about cyclists cycling on the left-hand side of the road impeding traffic wishing to turn left. I mean why would they make such a complaint? Someone cycling down the centre is impeding those driving straight on, turning right, or turning left. Cyclists who drive with due care and attention and consideration for other road users that keep into the left when they cycle aren't impeding people.

Cyclists UNDERTAKING people on the left, a completely different thing, do pose a danger to traffic wishing to turn left, and to themselves of course, but that's a different thing entirely.

All ugly cars driven by ppl with no taste no matter where they come from.

In this context I'm thinking of any car that has a higher front than the norm, whether it be a Hyundai Tucson or Toyota Rav 4, or similar.
I saw one of those Knees Up Cumquats yesterday with a fucking bull bar on the front of it.
Now THAT’S stupid. Those things should be a cause for failing the NCT.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

DJ Fadd Jnr

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:30pm

More events ▼