Cork u20 Hurling 2024

Totally
With respect it’s that attitude that has us fucked at senior level.

For instance Deccie Dakton was surplus to requirements with the last management because they were wedded to the “pick the best hurlers” mantra,

The current 20s look like going the same route with a definite lack of physicality in the foward line. God help us if Diarmuid Healy is ever missing.

Every successful team needs a few boyos who can mix it and win their own ball

TAN - still ignoring that there was no reason at all for Keane to go anywhere near Buckley.
- still not in possession of any facts or comment from the linesman to tell us how he saw it.
- still just assuming he'd have done nothing if Buckley hadn't hit the deck.

I've seen Clare senior players regularly being castigated for diving, don't think I ever called it out myself, not sure I ever would. Hypothetically- wouldn't be rocking up to some Clare forum after a loss to them to lecture em.

As for "can't help thinking that cork would be in a much better place today" if Clare "had been 5 or 6 up at half time and Ben O Connor had to adjust his style and team at half time to get back into it"
Cork are 2 out of 2 from games played so far, this better place would be where? Even more scored and less conceded? Having hammered 15 man Clare by 12 following some kind of half time

As for "can't help thinking that cork would be in a much better place today" if Clare "had been 5 or 6 up at half time and Ben O Connor had to adjust his style and team at half time to get back into it"
Cork are 2 out of 2 from games played so far, this better place would be where? Even more scored and less conceded? Having hammered 15 man Clare by 12 following some kind of half time epiphany from Ben O'Connor?
For the first time in their intercounty career the Cork players were in a serious hole.
Having to grind their way out of it would have been interesting to see.

Having Ben O'Connor showing an ability to rescue a situation at half time would be a better indication if his senior credentials are on track sooner rather than later

It's not that abstract a concept

Totally

For the first time in their intercounty career the Cork players were in a serious hole.
Having to grind their way out of it would have been interesting to see.

Having Ben O'Connor showing an ability to rescue a situation at half time would be a better indication if his senior credentials are on track sooner rather than later

It's not that abstract a concept
I don't agree TAN - Ben O'Connor led a team to U20 success last season.
His team won hard fought battles every day they played in Munster.
His senior credentials are fine but won't be tested until he gets a senior intercounty job.

I don't consider playing against the wind and being 6 behind a team after 20 or so minutes "a serious" hole.
Don't remember Clare creating goal chance after goal chance when they were in the ascendancy, rather them being more accurate and taking their points with the breeze.
Was not concerned that Cork were going to lose.

And on Clare's ill discipline - it was obvious to me, especially after the filthy blow that went unpunished on Ross O'Sullivan that Clare were losing control on the physical side and the game was going to bubble over.
That was before the Clare management led by example and egged their players on even further.
Players were overhyped by the management and that cost then.
So if we're talking about tests of managers credentials, look to facts, look to yourselves and your own manager before drumming up hypothetical situations for BOC to prove his.

None of the above means that I think Cork don't have lessons to learn from the game, I thought they were disappointing overall.
Touch was way off, looked like a team who were a bit stuck to the ground.
Work to do if they are to get to a MF.

Call it as you see it but the red card was a crazy decision.
Buckley made a fool out of Keane and it was a deeply unpleasant incident.

Just to clarify for the experts.
1 Keane did not run at Buckley in open play. He was celebrating us winning a free that would have made it 12 to 5. Play was stopped

2 Buckley hit Keane because he was pissed off with his antics. No issue with that from my point of view. But equally for the simpletons, it might be offensive to some but its not an offence for a young lad to jump around like a lunatic.

3 Keane did exactly the same thing back to Buckley , there was no head butt. I presume next time round the recommendation here would be for Keane to hit the deck straight away?

4 Buckley going down was wrong. There is no place for it in hurling in my view, however , his action changed the game and more than likely the result. He was outstanding all night. Gunning tried very hard and did some great things but Buckley came out the best of it but that incident was not good.

5 the linesman, who got line balls wrong both directions, was out of his depth and lost his head I feel, it was not the refs fault

6 I have clare lads complaining about multiple frees not given to us. I think that's bollix. There were lots of frees we could have got but the same could be said for cork and frankly the ref letting the two sides go at each other physically really helped us to kill the running stone dead early on.

7 I have only 3 problems with the officials last night. Firstly the red card was a nonsense, secondly the Cork 7 should have got a yellow for hitting Fahy but I am not overly bothered by that and finally after we scored our goal to put 3 in it the free given to Cork to go back to 4 seemed really soft. Maybe I missed something there.

On the broader issue. I wouldn't be shouting the odds about winning Munster or anything. We do have 5 players returning. 3 of them, woods, Stritch and Dunford would be starting, treacy and Doherty might be starting but some of the lads who got in like moylan hegarty kilroy and Collins have been outstanding so far.

Even if we got them all back I wouldn't be making us favourites against this cork team. They are a good side with a lot of confidence

I can't help thinking that cork would be in a much better place today if we had been 5 or 6 up at half time and Ben O Connor had to adjust his style and team at half time to get back into it.

Leahy and Buckley are really good but the most important player for corks forwards is Healey and ye need someone bigger with him to balance out the side.

Serious work needs to go in from 2 to 9 under high ball.
You just can't allow a team to get clean runs to at puck outs time after time so they can be caught.

The extra man meant that they just knocked the ball down and the 4 swept it up.

Need to be way more physical.
There may well be a replay in the Munster final and Clare can show us then why they should have won last Friday evening.

Hurley is a kerry man on here,most of his comments are what you see on their forum is always the oppositions fault their management are nothing but thugs,the referee gave us nothing etc.
Last friday night the referee tried to leave the game flow and and both sides did not receive frees from time to time. On the sending off the call was made by the linesman but looking at it on Saturday imho that was not a sending off

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

The Biz

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼