Cork u20 Hurling 2024

that Clare full back looked junior b standard in the second half poor lad couldn’t get out for a ball. James dywer I thought was very good but ran the ball into the tackle a bit too much when an off load was on. Buckley different class there tonight. Dave cremin does an awful lot of good work aswell and can win a ball. Overall not the greatest too slow a start. Anyone know is the Clare centre back James hegarty is u20 again next year, monster of a fella.
James Hegarty has 2 more years at U-20 level, he is 18 this year and was a Clare AI minor winner last year.

This topic is very interesting tonight to say the least.

I am delighted with what I saw tonight.
Here is why and ye can take it whatever way ye like
1 as I pointed out , Healey is corks only puck out option when it was 15 aside clares forwards stopped the running from the back for cork and there were no handy off the shoulder points on offer.
In contrast the Cork forwards tackling was half hearted and we thrived.

2. The row instigated fuck all . We won the free which would have made it 12 to 5. Anyone with a fair mind knows it was the ludicrous red card that gave cork the spare runner that changed the game.

3 Jack leahy is a fine hurler but when the clare forwards forced the cork half back line to strike under pressure our junior b full back as described above beat him up a stick. When the ball was suddenly perfect leahy thrived. That has to be a concern.

4 after leahys goal o Farrell Rynne o Neill and Kilroy called puck out after puck out on themselves and caught a shit load of them . The cork defenders didn't engage them in the air at all.

5 if lads here can't identify that these cork 20s have a serious reality check coming regarding their defending from corner forward back then ye are deranged.

What's the odds Healey goes the same way as Sean Twomey.

He is, by some distance, the best forward on that team.

Very young clare side
Only 6 or 7 of the 24 overage

1 as I pointed out , Healey is corks only puck out option when it was 15 aside clares forwards stopped the running from the back for cork and there were no handy off the shoulder points on offer.

2. The row instigated fuck all . We won the free which would have made it 12 to 5. Anyone with a fair mind knows it was the ludicrous red card that gave cork the spare runner that changed the game.

3 Jack leahy is a fine hurler but when the clare forwards forced the cork half back line to strike under pressure our junior b full back as described above beat him up a stick. When the ball was suddenly perfect leahy thrived. That has to be a concern.

4 after leahys goal o Farrell Rynne o Neill and Kilroy called puck out after puck out on themselves and caught a shit load of them . The cork defenders didn't engage them in the air at all.

5 if lads here can't identify that these cork 20s have a serious reality check coming regarding their defending from corner forward back then ye are deranged.

Very young clare side
Valid points on Cork being one dimensional in that 1st half. Poor touch as well didn’t help and they looked leggy from the off. That being said I thought Clare tore into them and out played them. For 20 mins.
Discipline from Clare was poor before the sending off and the melee, you said it didnt impact the game. It did. The free you won was about all you won for the rest of the game. Linesman obviously saw something to send the lad off.
I hope they play again as I think this performance from Cork was below par and Clare and themselves don’t like each other much.
I would be concerned watching the first 30 mins of this game, it reminded me of days past at senior games, nobody winning ball in the HF line and our midfield too open and loose.
That William Buckley is a machine also, joy to watch.

Very young clare side
Cork won by 6 points, without getting anywhere near their ceiling.

Nobody here deranged mate, apart from yourself

Hilarious point about Jack Leahy 🤣
"when the ball was suddenly perfect".....

You don't have a fair mind, so don't spin the "anyone with a fair mind" line.

We bate ye fair and square, playing well below par.
Ye gave it everything, not good enough.

Maybe it might be different if ye can reign in the dirt that makes it impossible for a ref to allow ye play 60 plus mins with 15.

I remember you having similar ominous warnings for Cork u20s last year.
Lol.
This season might come to nothing for us in the end, it won't be for any of the points that you raised though.

Very young clare side
Cry me a river tan 🎻🎻🎻
Fact is cork were very poor/sloppy last night.I have no doubt that boc will be delighted with the win but livid with the performance. Plenty for cork to work on.
13 wides alone in the second half along with another 6 balls dropped short into the keepers hand all due to cork sloppiness and not due to good Clare defending.
On another night Clare could have lost that game by 20 points!
Cork have a target on their back now at this grade and other counties are formulating game plans to stop them, it's up to cork to make sure they stay focused and continue winning.

Lads here very quick to run blindly with the narrative that the sending off was because of the manager and a dive.

God forbid anyone would consider that Keane got sent off for being an asshole, he was nowhere near Buckley initially but decided to deliberately target him for no reason, Buckley had his back to him when he walked from 5m or so away and got stuck in. Linesman saw all of that

Very young clare side
That's a pretty fair summary of Cork's struggles in the opening twenty-five minutes. Clare targeted Cork's playing out from the back and had a lot of success. The Cork forwards struggled to make the ball stick, either from puck-outs or general play, so Cork lacked an outball and had very few scoring opportunities in that period - Buckley was the only Cork forward to consistently pose a threat while it was fifteen-a-side. Leahy is a wonderful player when receiving good ball, but as seen in the two previous U20 campaigns he can struggle when the ball into him is messy. His radar was wonky early on too, but TBF he settled himself down later on.

I hope O'Connor and the team learn the hard lessons from that opening period. First, when playing out from the back Cork need to move the ball more quickly from player to player, which means not only avoiding the extra touch but having players making runs to take medium-length stick passes, further forward or on the far side of the pitch. Too often Cork players were looking to offload to support runners very close by, or trying to run through two or more Clare players, condensing the play in a way which suited Clare perfectly.

Second, the balance in the forwards was off. I would have preferred O'Leary inside, as he offers something different to Leahy or Ross O'Sullivan in terms of an aerial threat and directness in possession. Likewise I would have preferred Nyhan at least on the bench if not starting, again to give an option to go long which Cork lacked last night. Or start Adam O'Sullivan inside, where he could use his pace to stretch the defence with runs out from the box to the corners - it's not his usual position but Cork need to have a curveball or two to throw at teams who know pretty much what to expect from them.

I also think Cork lack a physical edge to their game which they had last year. This is hardly surprising, since most of the physically imposing players in last year's team (Downey, Cunningham, and O'Connor and Walsh in some matches) have moved on. They don't need to go looking for direct replacements, but they need to think about how the team as a whole can play more aggressively in specific areas of the pitch. Clare aren't a massive team but they out-worked and out-muscled Cork for significant periods last night. That's not just down to individual players working hard - they were organised in how and where they hunted down the Cork players in possession, and looked to close off the short passing options. Cork need to approach every game with a similar attitude and organisation.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

8th Jun 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Kevin Quigley

The Welcome Inn, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼