Cork u20 Hurling 2024

Lovely to bate them Banner lads. Playing the wrong side of legal catches up with you sometimes I guess. Their Jack O'Neill was excellent though. Not much margin for error in the game we play so first touch and decision making has to be way better than it was tonight

Buckley a different class altogether Joy to watch!!! Leahy when he turned it on from min 30 to 45 was devastating hitting 1-4 from play. Other than it wasn’t this bunches best performance, especially from what we know they’re capable of

I don't think that was a good performance at all but I'd rather win playing poor than lose playing well. I'd love to put 3 stone of muscle on Buckley, or 3 inches of height. I think he could be a Daniel Kearney type for us. Loved seeing him burst his bollox tracking back late on to get a flick on the ball when Clare were going through the middle

Very strange game. We played some shocking hurling especially without the ball. I’ve no doubt we would have struggled to turn it around if it remained 15v15. We had our purple patch and put the game to bed, but we were musculed and out fought for long periods even against 14 men. Way to loose at times standing off our men and allowing Clare win easy primary possession. Work rate without the ball needs to be increased 100%. Very few Cork lads distinguished themselves tonight except for Buckley and Leahy.

Very strange game. We played some shocking hurling especially without the ball. I’ve no doubt we would have struggled to turn it around if it remained 15v15. We had our purple patch and put the game to bed, but we were musculed and out fought for long periods even against 14 men. Way to loose at times standing off our men and allowing Clare win easy primary possession. Work rate without the ball needs to be increased 100%. Very few Cork lads distinguished themselves tonight except for Buckley and Leahy.
I thought Cremin led the Cork comeback, he's an awkward player and limited enough in ways but he was the first Cork player to impose himself physically and win hard ball. Dwyer put in a good shift as well, though like most of the backs he took too much out of the ball and played himself into trouble at times. P. O'Sullivan was solid under a couple of tricky high balls.

I think O'Connor is trying to get them to habitually do the right thing. That can be a long process with younger players and can get ugly at times. I'd rather that they win playing the right hurling, than just win. Winning ugly is a habit and this'll stand to them. They can, and will, get better.

He's definitely put a bit of fire and fight into them - which was welcome. Clare were winning a hurling match. Their manager turned it into a war, and Cork came out on top. We used to lose the wars, but the old blood and bandage fire is back under O'Connor. With or without an extra man, a 13 point turnaround is seriously impressive at underage level.

The sending off didn't look justified. But the linesman was pretty clear he saw something, so I wouldn't presume to know better based on a bad camera angle. One of the Clare players was immediately in the Cork lad's ear too, which seems to imply he knew that his buddy was in trouble. Either way, if you're Clare, you have to be asking why a player gets involved in something like that, just after a row. Best time to get an early shower for yourself.

Anyone think the ref had a poor game? Clare got away with an awful lot of spare hand stuff. Proof in the pudding they were filthy when they ended up a man down and 5 yellows. Our centre back played very well I thought and Jack was transformed once he was taken off the frees.

IMO Oran O'Regan and Mikey Finn also played well tonight.

Most of us knew when William Buckley was selected corner-forward he wouldn't play there but the roaming corner-forward tonight was Tadhg O'Connell and it didn't suit him at all, he also didn't play well v Waterford but was excellent last year at mid-field. Surprising that neither him or Peter O'Shea are being selected at 9 and the player selected instead Ben Walsh is the only player on the team from last years minors who hasn't stood out in both games.

When any team plays 2 inside forwards then they have to stay inside, mainly in the first half tonight any ball that went in around the Clare goalmouth we didn't see a Cork forward within 25 metres.

Honda Gaels

If Wm. Buckley bulks by 3 stone and grows 3 inches he will lose that elusive footwork and pace.

Last edited:
Honestly not clear to me if that's what happened (it's at 40 minutes here:
You can see a movement of the Clare no. 4's hurley, but it's not at all conclusive. That said, some of the people there would have had a better view, including the linesman with whom the referee consulted.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼