Cork u20 Hurling 2024

Killyoursons

The touch, striking and accuracy was very good from Cork considering the conditions. Regarding centre-back Cork play short out from the back a lot anyway so it's unlikely we will see a guy sitting at 6, when Timmy Wilk returns isn't he likely to play corner-back with Darragh O'Sullivan coming back out to 6 and Oran O'Regan going up-field. If Oran stays centre-back are we likely to see Denis Cashman on the bench, I was surprised not to see Ollie McAdoo start in that corner last Friday night. He has more touch and is quicker than Cashman and is a year older & more suited to Ben's style but maybe the management decided one of the corner-backs should sit deeper and Cashman is bigger and stronger which is an asset closer to our goal. Surely Darragh, Oran or Timmy will be centre-back rather than labouring Ben Walsh as the youngest player on the team to anchor the defence.

I thought the mid-field laboured a little on Friday and Tadhg O'Connell is more suited to playing there than wing-forward. Peter O'Shea is now back from injury and he should have a serious say in selection here.

The selection with everyone fully fit would make for interesting viewing.
Thanks Corky. Why do you think Wilk would play at corner-back if he returns? Afair he didn't play there on any of his appearances for this team last year. I'd have thought if he breaks into the team he would be best suited at hb or midfield. And while I have a lot of time for Darragh O'Sullivan, I would be much happier with him in the corner (which may not match how the management, or indeed the player himself, are thinking about deploying him).

As regards Ben Walsh at 6, if he's good enough he's old enough (seven of Clare's minors from last year started for their U20s vs Limerick). I think placing him there flanked by, say, Dwyer and Tobin or Dwyer and Wilk would be a solid-looking line. And I don't think having a 6 who is more inclined to sit is incompatible with running the ball from defence. On the contrary, it lets the defence keep its shape when other players are bombing forward. (To be clear, I am not saying that Walsh definitely should play at 6, just that it's an option I hope the management take seriously.)

Lastly, I agree that O'Connell would be better suited to midfield - one option might be to have him there and O'Regan at 12. Either way, while there are still a few questions wrt selection and positions, it's great to see so many promising candidates.

Last edited:
I watched the stream the other night which is always a different perspective to seeing thee game live...but the conditions were genuinely appalling.

It's hard to read too much into a game like that imo. I'd look at what they could control on the night. They worked like dogs, the method was certainly preserved with in regarding to Connor's running game and everyone looked like they knew what their role was.

I would like to see them be a little more unselfish out the pitch and use the inside forwards or use the runners rather then taking 50/50 pot shots out the field...but that's nitpicking.

I think we'll learn a bit more in the next game in hopefully better conditions.

Killyoursons

Timmy Wilk played corner-back in a challenge game earlier this year in the Pairc v KK as curtain raiser to the senior league game on February 10th and Darragh Sull was centre-back either that night or v Galway. He was playing at 4 before his injury. However it's interesting that Wilk was the only underage player in 2022 from the previous years AI winning team and he wasn't played centre-back that year.

Ben Walsh is not too young if he is good enough but the other options to Cork are from a 2021 AI minor winning team. Clare's winning team of 2023 had James Hegarty centre-back who was voted on the Team of the Year in both 2022 and 2023. I didn't see Ben Walsh standing out but he was adequate in 2023.

Last edited:
Cork (Munster U20 HC v Clare): P O'Sullivan (Fr. O'Neill’s); D Cashman (Bride Rovers), K Lyons (Ballygarvan), D O'Sullivan (Ballinhassig); J Dwyer (Ballincollig), Ó O'Regan (Erins Own), C Tobin (Bride Rovers); M Finn (Midleton), Ben Walsh (Killeagh); D Healy (Lisgoold), T O'Connell (Ballincollig), D Cremin (Midleton); W Buckley (St Finbarr's), J Leahy (Dungourney), R O'Sullivan (Na Piarsaigh).

Subs: D O’Connell (Dromina), J O’Brien (Fermoy), O McAdoo (Blackrock), P O’Shea (Erin’s Own), R O’Connell (Bride Rovers), J Galvin (Eire Óg), A O’Sullivan (Ballinhassig), E O'Leary (Glen Rovers), Barry Walsh (Killeagh).

Killyoursons

The touch, striking and accuracy was very good from Cork considering the conditions. Regarding centre-back Cork play short out from the back a lot anyway so it's unlikely we will see a guy sitting at 6, when Timmy Wilk returns isn't he likely to play corner-back with Darragh O'Sullivan coming back out to 6 and Oran O'Regan going up-field. If Oran stays centre-back are we likely to see Denis Cashman on the bench, I was surprised not to see Ollie McAdoo start in that corner last Friday night. He has more touch and is quicker than Cashman and is a year older & more suited to Ben's style but maybe the management decided one of the corner-backs should sit deeper and Cashman is bigger and stronger which is an asset closer to our goal. Surely Darragh, Oran or Timmy will be centre-back rather than labouring Ben Walsh as the youngest player on the team to anchor the defence.

I thought the mid-field laboured a little on Friday and Tadhg O'Connell is more suited to playing there than wing-forward. Peter O'Shea is now back from injury and he should have a serious say in selection here.

The selection with everyone fully fit would make for interesting viewing.
I think cashman is a better man marker than mcadoo

Cork looked really dangerous when they got running
Buckleys movement causes big problems
Leahy is excellent.
Thought the full back line was good but waterford were so bad its hard to know.
Dwyer is very powerful.

On the down side i though corks backs were a fraction overconfident coming out and took physical contact way too willingly at times
Number 6 is a bit of an issue.
There are no circumstances that i can think of where your number 6 should appear at right half forward 3 or 4 times in the first 10 minutes.

Someone must have asked him politely to return to his own half
:LOL:

I also have a slight inkling that the cork forwards have an uneven attitude to defending so we might be able to get good ball forward.

This is a big game for clare.
8 players from the 40 point team started v limerick and 7 minors from 2023 which is a lot
It would be 10 40 pointers except Diarmuid Stritch and James Doherty are injured.
We are also short Senan Dunford who started v Cork last year in the group game and is a massive young lad and fionan treacy full back on the 22 minors.
The significance of that is we have a really thin bench and we have 7 of last years minor team starting

Sean Rynne is the only player on the senior training panel and we only have him and Jack O Neill that started last years final.

Its definitely one i am nervous about but this is a different caliber of manager from the fitzgerald era.

The lad in charge of the 2021 minors was found at pat fitzs kitchen table i suspect

I find it hard to see us getting a win but i do expect we will give it a go.

Ps i am glad wilk has missed out, a lovely player we arehappy not to see

Cork looked really dangerous when they got running
Buckleys movement causes big problems
Leahy is excellent.
Thought the full back line was good but waterford were so bad its hard to know.
Dwyer is very powerful.

On the down side i though corks backs were a fraction overconfident coming out and took physical contact way too willingly at times
Number 6 is a bit of an issue.
There are no circumstances that i can think of where your number 6 should appear at right half forward 3 or 4 times in the first 10 minutes.

Someone must have asked him politely to return to his own half
:LOL:

I also have a slight inkling that the cork forwards have an uneven attitude to defending so we might be able to get good ball forward.

This is a big game for clare.
8 players from the 40 point team started v limerick and 7 minors from 2023 which is a lot
It would be 10 40 pointers except Diarmuid Stritch and James Doherty are injured.
We are also short Senan Dunford who started v Cork last year in the group game and is a massive young lad and fionan treacy full back on the 22 minors.
The significance of that is we have a really thin bench and we have 7 of last years minor team starting

Sean Rynne is the only player on the senior training panel and we only have him and Jack O Neill that started last years final.

Its definitely one i am nervous about but this is a different caliber of manager from the fitzgerald era.

The lad in charge of the 2021 minors was found at pat fitzs kitchen table i suspect

I find it hard to see us getting a win but i do expect we will give it a go.

Ps i am glad wilk has missed out, a lovely player we arehappy not to see
Era we’ll be lucky to keep it pucked out to ye twicey

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼